Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

I made a silicone mold this weekend of DotD Frankie's shoes. The aluminum shiny coating was wearing off, and I love the shoe design by want it in different colors. The mold looks like this:

I make the mold so that there is no seam, and just a tiny fill hole that normally leaves no visible mark on the part. You can only see the fill hole mold mark when casting a non-solid color (like a metallic powder filled shoe like these:

I cast a variety today:

I made light metallic grey to match Frankie's bolts, Light sparkle blue for Abbey, clear red for Ghoulia and a bunch of other solid and metallic colors. I like the way Spectra's light clear purples came out the best:

Views: 5833

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

That is awesome!  I wish I knew how to cast a mold, I just couldn't imagine figuring it out and making it work!  Are you planning on selling them or just making them for fun?

Gorgeous, great job!

Those are so cool!  I especially love the ruby red ones.  Will you be selling any of them?

rawrsome ! Would you make a tutorial ? I love seeing how everything is created !

Or could you atleast say what silicone(?) & etc. you used ?

✖❤✖❤ 

I blogged the entire process here: http://blythemode.com/blog/?p=48

That blog entry covers the casting of a shoe I made from scratch for a Momoko doll (the creation of the original master has it's own blog entry http://blythemode.com/blog/?p=19), but the mold geometry is very similar to this one, and all the process and products are exactly the same as what I used to duplicate these Frankie shoes.

Lael said:

rawrsome ! Would you make a tutorial ? I love seeing how everything is created !

Or could you atleast say what silicone(?) & etc. you used ?

✖❤✖❤

Ghoulia is looking rather saucy in that outfit with those red shoes... lol!

Thanks for the link to your tutorial... its very helpful!

 

I used to hand carve fimo wedges to make shoes for Gene Dolls and want to try making shoes for MH. But it was a pain in the butt... so I've been pondering the idea of mold making and picked up the Smooth-On kit to give it a try before investing a lot of money into it.

 

One question.. I know, from previous posts, that you insist on the pressure tank. I live in an apartment building in NYC with no outdoor, garage or workroom space.. just an office/art/craft room (aka spare bedroom) located above & below someone else's bedroom. Is that Pressure tank loud? If so there is no way I could have one of those in my apartment. Do you have any other suggestions... an alternative to that piece of machinery? :)

With the Smooth-On Oomoo/Smooth-Cast 300 "starter kit" you could make a mold from a solid wedge sole and cast copies without need of the pressure tank. You would design the mold in such a way that the part is oriented to prevent air entrapment. You will inevitably get some parts with tiny bubble defects, but you'll get plenty of keepers too if the mold is well designed, you don't stir tons of air into the resin, and you use some tapping or vibration to help small bubbles rise up out of the mold.

The pressure tank becomes a requirement when the mold has thin sections, like the sides and back of the Frankie shoe I'm casting, or you're working with a resin that has high viscosity. The thicker-pouring resins trap air bubbles easily and have trouble filling narrow mold sections completely. You would also want the pressure tank if you're making transparent/translucent castings and don't want to have visible bubble inclusions. Even with a very low viscosity resin, it's virtually impossible to get a perfectly bubble-free part without pressure casting.

The pressure setup is loud. The most cost effective source of compressed air is a small oil-free compressor, like the kind used by roofers. These are very loud. Smaller, quieter air compressors like the diaphragm types (often used with airbrushes) pump too little air to fill a pressure tank quickly enough; for this job you need a compressor with a built-in tank that can fill the pressure pot quickly before the resin starts to set.


Shannanigan O'Crabby said:

One question.. I know, from previous posts, that you insist on the pressure tank. I live in an apartment building in NYC with no outdoor, garage or workroom space.. just an office/art/craft room (aka spare bedroom) located above & below someone else's bedroom. Is that Pressure tank loud? If so there is no way I could have one of those in my apartment. Do you have any other suggestions... an alternative to that piece of machinery? :)

These all look great!  I especially like the transparent ones you have on Ghoulia and Spectra!  Do you plan on making any of these to sell, or is it just for fun?

I'm being talked into putting some on Etsy :-) I'm looking into that; I went through the motions of setting up a shop there a few years ago, but never ended up selling anything.

Heather said:

These all look great!  I especially like the transparent ones you have on Ghoulia and Spectra!  Do you plan on making any of these to sell, or is it just for fun?

Definitely give us the link when you get them posted there :)  I probably won't get any right away, but I was thinking that if I get the CaM cat/witch set that will be coming out this year I'll definitely need some ruby slippers for the witch so I'll want to keep on eye on your shop.

Adam Smith said:

I'm being talked into putting some on Etsy :-) I'm looking into that; I went through the motions of setting up a shop there a few years ago, but never ended up selling anything.

Heather said:

These all look great!  I especially like the transparent ones you have on Ghoulia and Spectra!  Do you plan on making any of these to sell, or is it just for fun?

Great awsome fangtastic clawesome

Yay ! ❤ Thank You !

✖❤✖❤



Adam Smith said:

I blogged the entire process here: http://blythemode.com/blog/?p=48

That blog entry covers the casting of a shoe I made from scratch for a Momoko doll (the creation of the original master has it's own blog entry http://blythemode.com/blog/?p=19), but the mold geometry is very similar to this one, and all the process and products are exactly the same as what I used to duplicate these Frankie shoes.

Lael said:

rawrsome ! Would you make a tutorial ? I love seeing how everything is created !

Or could you atleast say what silicone(?) & etc. you used ?

✖❤✖❤

I think these are my favorite ones to date... glow in the dark!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service