Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Wydowna? A backgrounder? A regular character that's special in some way? Someone new all-together?

I think Wydowna stands a good chance and here are my reasons why; people can't stop talking about her/hoping for her, while highly desired by adult collectors she's perhaps a little to eh... creepy for the mainstream public whose target audience is ages 6-12.  However if she is well-received/highly desired by many, she could come out again as a Power Ghoul exclusive... just my thoughts...

Let's hear yours!

Views: 1166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love the Robecca idea, that would be awesome.  And I feel the same way you do about my preference for what they do this year; on one hand would be cool if they do something like Wydowna, but on the other hand it would suck as it'll be hard to get or very expensive for us thereby hoping they'll do something like the Frankie or Ghoulia as we might be able to live w/o that ;).  We were one of the many people upset over the new characters released for SDCC last year.  I tried to push it away, but last Fall I just couldn't resist Scarah and Hoodude any longer as my girls and I are in love w/ Hoodude,  Scarah is cool too, but we just think he's so funny and adorable, and the whole voodoo doll thing just cracks us up and that Frankie made him.  Kinda thought they'd come out with another Scarah later, but unsure about Hoodude, so figured I was better off buying the set when I did, and in retrospect I'm glad we did as the set's up to $200 already.

But anyway, another reason I'm leaning torwards Wydowna (though still hoping it won't be ;) ) is bc the work has already been done on her (design, mold, trademarked, etc).  I know some people on here are very trademark savvy, I believe you are one of them?  Any knowledge of when the previous SDCC dolls' trademarks were made?  Could be indications of what/when to look for this year. 

Triumvirate said:

But there was some backlash that they did new characters as the SDCC exclusive. So, will they do another new character nod to fans, such as a background character from the webisodes or specials again? Or will they try to take an established character and do something more like they did with Frankie and Ghoulia to fit the SDCC atmosphere? For example, I still think a retro Robecca in full traditional steampunk gear from the time she was created would be perfect for SDCC. 

I don't know what they will do. As a fan I'd love to see an obscure or in demand new character that die-hard MH fans would know and love. But as someone who doesn't know if I'll be able to get the exclusive this year or not, I'd rather them do one of the main ghouls in a different form so even if I like the exclusive it will be easier to take if I can't get it. 

 

That's a great idea for the Scarily line, and IMO would be a better fit than SDCC.  The Siren CAM has been very popular, if a Lagoona Mermaid were to be a SDCC doll, I think it would be a huge upset as many girls would want her but couldn't get her, most young girls LOVE mermaids! 

Her Monster Highness said:

Wasn't there speculation last year that the 2012 SDCC doll was going to be a Lagoona Mermaid?
How about a Little Mermaid MH Style for 2013 to fit into the Scarily Ever After series?

I will continue to support the idea of a Lagoona Mermaid. I will forever cross my fingers that she will be released to the public or an SDCC exclusive. I don't care as long as she becomes real! I would love to see Cleo in more traditional Egyptian garb.

Her Monster Highness said:

Wasn't there speculation last year that the 2012 SDCC doll was going to be a Lagoona Mermaid?
How about a Little Mermaid MH Style for 2013 to fit into the Scarily Ever After series?

I'm so glad someone started this discussion! I'm considering purchasing (or trying to anyway) the 2013 SDCC exclusive, whatever it may be, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I would either like to see something along the lines of Deadfast Ghoulia or maybe a background character. I still wish I could've gotten Scarah, and I think I will probably succumb to eBay sellers one day just because I want her so much.

I'm not sure if I would like to see Wydowna as a doll at all, much less an SDCC exclusive. I must be one of the 0.0001% that feels this way, but I just didn't find her appealing. I think it was the bright orange and the red and then whatever her outfit was.. It just didn't work for me. Although, I really do love the concept behind her could-be doll.

To answer the actual question though, I think we'll see a specialized version of one of the core characters. Maybe it would be something that really gets back to the basics of the whole monster theme, like a version of a character (or a few) that is kind of created to look even more like the classic monster they represent than the already do. Inoperable you guys get what I'm trying to say, because I'm not even sure that I do :\

PS: if I did want to buy the 2013 SDCC exclusive, but couldn't actually attend Comic-Con, how would I go about doing that? What's the best way to handle that?
Ooh, so many possibilities…

Lagoona Mermaid sounds brilliant! I would love it to be her. But then again I like old-fashioned Robecca, Egyptian Cleo, etc. too!

But part of me want it to be awful so I don't have to spend a fortune online for it :)

@CarpeDiem, loads of people sell them on eBay, but prices can be VERY high there. Last year, we ordered ours from MattyCollector.com. Good luck!

My fear is that it will be the Power Ghoul version of Wydonna - fits the con theme, isn't a basic (they can do a basic of her for stores), uses molds and trademarks they already have.

It's my fear because my daughter LOVES the power ghouls and will want it desperately.

I was under the impression the required subscription only applied to the pre-orders this year, so it also applies to the after-sale as well? crap.

Triumvirate said:

This year may it may be very difficult to get the SDCC exclusive if you do not attend Comic-Con. Ebay may be your only option. MattyCollector.com has sold the exclusives in the past and that was how many people got them. But this year you will only have access to the exclusives if you have a subscription with MattyCollector, and even then they said they will be carrying less of the exclusives this year. 

CarpeDiem said:

PS: if I did want to buy the 2013 SDCC exclusive, but couldn't actually attend Comic-Con, how would I go about doing that? What's the best way to handle that?

Last year, I was pretty sure that they wouldn't make any brand new characters the Exclusive- but here I am, I stand corrected.

Okay, the possibilities are: InvisiBilly (we shouldn't rule him out, he kinda fits the con as well since he is a nod to classic monsters like b&w Frankie was), Wydowna (Basic or Power Ghouls version) or something like Frankie and Ghoulia were, such as Mermaid Lagoona, Steampunk Robecca, Ultra-Egyptian Cleo or Victorian Gothic Draculaura.

I am seriously hoping for one of the latter. I am not interested in any of them, since I only collect the Basics. Of course, it will be great to see what they will do with the concepts, but I just won't get them.

However, if the Exclusive ends up being a Basic, I probably won't be able to get it. The only reason why I was able to get Scarah and Hoodude was pure luck, and I am pretty sure that I won't be that lucky again a second time. 

Sadly, Wydowna has high chances of being the Exclusive this year. Tsk.

Well, as much as I hate it sometimes, I guess eBay will be my friend this year!
Unless I end up not liking the exclusive at all.. I really hope it doesn't end up being a basic! Because if it is, I know that I'll just have to have it :P
Thanks for the info!


Triumvirate said:

That I'm not sure about. I don't know the exact details other than subscription holders get first dibs and I'm not sure there will even be any left after that. I wouldn't count on it being available though MattyCollector to the public after the event this year, and even if it is I would guess it's not going to be easy to get.

abbclawgoona said:

I was under the impression the required subscription only applied to the pre-orders this year, so it also applies to the after-sale as well? crap.

Triumvirate said:

This year may it may be very difficult to get the SDCC exclusive if you do not attend Comic-Con. Ebay may be your only option. MattyCollector.com has sold the exclusives in the past and that was how many people got them. But this year you will only have access to the exclusives if you have a subscription with MattyCollector, and even then they said they will be carrying less of the exclusives this year. 

CarpeDiem said:

PS: if I did want to buy the 2013 SDCC exclusive, but couldn't actually attend Comic-Con, how would I go about doing that? What's the best way to handle that?

I think InvisiBilly is a strong possibility. Personally, I'd prefer to see a new version of an already established character. Cleo as a straightforward interpretation of Cleopatra -- that is, channeling Isis in authentic clothing of the era, with full headdress, robes, and accessories. Maybe decorate the box to look like an opulent barge. Can you imagine? Cleo would look gorgeous! That would be amazing, to me anway. Or Operetta in... well, I don't know what. But really unique and one of a kind somehow. Or even the werecat twins done up in Con gear of some sort. Don't just change their outfits, give them new faceups and hairstyles. Anyway, those are my ideas. 

Thank you for putting thy idea into words! Cleo would be AMAZING as a direct representation of Cleopatra! Honestly, I think that's what we are most likely to see this year.
When las year did we first find out that Scarah was the 2012 exclusive?


MDNA John said:

I think InvisiBilly is a strong possibility. Personally, I'd prefer to see a new version of an already established character. Cleo as a straightforward interpretation of Cleopatra -- that is, channeling Isis in authentic clothing of the era, with full headdress, robes, and accessories. Maybe decorate the box to look like an opulent barge. Can you imagine? Cleo would look gorgeous! That would be amazing, to me anway. Or Operetta in... well, I don't know what. But really unique and one of a kind somehow. Or even the werecat twins done up in Con gear of some sort. Don't just change their outfits, give them new faceups and hairstyles. Anyway, those are my ideas. 

Speaking of, if they do actually intend on making a Viperine Gorgon doll, I hope she would have molded snakes for hair instead of actual hair.
She and Elissabat would make for good reveals at SDCC... But I don't think either of them would be the exclusive... For some reason, I just don't think Mattel would do another basic as their exclusive after having just done that last year.


Triumvirate said:

Yeah, I'm surprised that we haven't seen hide not hair about dolls for Wydowna or Invisi Billy yet this year, so it could easily be either of them. 

Another possibility is that one could be the exclusive and the other could get their official reveal at SDCC. Or the exclusive is neither of them and they will both get their official reveals at SDCC. And then there is Viperine Gorgon and Elissabat....

RSS

© 2021   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service