And I'm back already! Some of you are probably thinking, so soon? I'm stuck at home this week, sick as a dog. So while in my room, I figured, why not work on stuff while I'm sitting around doing nothing? Seems logical, no?
Cleo De Nile: Bodysuit
Honestly, the most interesting part of the whole costume. Cleo doesn't have a skirt, or a dress, or shorts, or pants....she has a bodysuit. Luckily, I've had experience in making these before, but every bodysuit I make is always a new experience, and Cleo's was no exception. I use Somewhat Stretchy as a fantastic resource. It's helped me out greatly with all bodysuits I've made. Now when you look at the shape of the fabric, I'm sure you're wondering how I even get a human shape out of it, but trust me, it works. Before sewing it together, I decided to paint it first, which I'm so glad I did. The wraps look more connected and part of the same piece and instead of having to wait for each area to dry before I could go on, I was able to get both the front and back done at one time which saved me a lot of time and frustration.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos of me sewing it together, so you don't get to see the progress of it coming together as one piece. It comes together well. I used a zipper for the back so there's less strain on the fabric stretching to my form. There's no stretchy thread that I've been able to find and so if you put too much tension on a stretchable fabric, even thought the fabric will be fine, the thread will snap. To avoid that problem, I installed the zipper. I need to attach the loose "wrap" to one of the legs, but other than that, the bodysuit is completed. I just need to go over some seams once more to prevent any possible thread breakage that could happen.
Cleo De Nile: Top
I got lazy taking photos after a certain point. Sorry. >.<;;; This....top...vest...thingymajig was what I thought would be easy, but proved to be a little bit of a problem. Because I'm very well-endowed in the chest area, when I tried what should have worked, I kept getting a major pucker problem. Eventually, it came down to how I tied it and managed to get rid of most of the pucker.
One thing I love about Cleo's costume is how few fabrics I actually need. for the top, I used a glittery solid casa satin and a glitter casa sheer, both of the same color. To make the wrap part of the top, I folded the fabric in half, then made a triangle, giving me a sort of pyramid shape when opened. I took a black satin ribbon (really thick, then ironed in half) and sewed it along the outside of it to get the trim look. On each end, I added about 12" of ribbon to tie the wrap closed when I wear it. I started to pin the sheer fabric to the backside of the wrap, but I didn't get farther than that. I need another person to help me with the next part. But it's nearly done! :)
All in all, it's pretty close to done. And for getting it done in one afternoon, it is a lot to get done at one time. I impressed myself. I'm sure some people work faster than I do, but for my own records, it's an improvement on my speed. Below you can see just how much of the costume is done. I also have her earrings and bangles, but you can't see them in this photo.
After taking the last photos of what I have so far, I painted the last of what I need to paint: the "loose wraps", the armwarmer, the remaining scraps for the shoes, and the choker. At this rate, I should actually have all but the wig and her arm band completed by the weekend.
Please leave questions and comments below! If you want me to elaborate on anything just tell me! I'm more than happy to go into detail! :)
Until next time!