Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Making some items and I'm stymied at the closure area. I've check my local stores and there's nothing that size appropriate. Any ideas?

Views: 343

Replies to This Discussion

The website www.zipperthatdoll.com sells to-scale zippers, buttons and velcro.  You can also make your own buttons from beads, polymer clay and other materials.  Hook and eyes scavenged from old bras are to-scale for jacket and coat closures. You can wrap colored thread around the wire of the hooks and eyes to match or contrast the garment. 

Holy cow, the old bra hook is an awesome idea!   I never would have thought of that.

Kaplods said:

The website www.zipperthatdoll.com sells to-scale zippers, buttons and velcro.  You can also make your own buttons from beads, polymer clay and other materials.  Hook and eyes scavenged from old bras are to-scale for jacket and coat closures. You can wrap colored thread around the wire of the hooks and eyes to match or contrast the garment. 

Sewing departments and sewing shops should have snaps and hook and eye closures in a range of small to tiny sizes, even some that are identical to bra hooks.  Even sewing shops are carrying smaller and smaller selections.

In sewing shops, you'll usually find hook and eyes in stainless steel silvertone.  If you're lucky you may also find gold-ish brass, white, and black (metal hooks with a colored plastic coating).  The advantage of scavenging from bras is that colored bras often have matching hooks (again, usually plastic coated wire).

My favorite bra is a molded, underwire in a pretty heather blue t-shirt knit jersey.  I'm dreading and yet looking forward to the bra's eventual retirement, so I can scavenge the pretty, pale blue hooks.  

Fi  

ahh thanks. I had tried a french knot frog type closure but it was almost impossible to work with my big fat fingers.

If you are wanting to go the velcro route I get micro velcro dots in my Walmart craft & fabric section. They are adheassive and come in clear and white. It is a thinner velcro, so the clothes sit more flush.

I'm a big fan of the snaps, just like the original barbie dolls had. I find them easier to sew by hand than velcro and it doesnt stick to the fabric.

The snaps seem a little bulky, the normal velcro too. Really would like a toggle or a small kilt pin. I worked really hard on getting the kilt to scale and I don't wan to throw it off with a bulky fastener.
:)

my husband has made doll sized kilt pins before. Do you want me to talk to him?

There's also a youtube video tutorial on making small kilt pins for charms from 1mm wire. You could use even smaller wire and make any size you want.

I found it simply by searching on the phrases

Making kilt pins

Kilt pin tutorial

The one I saw was for charms, you'd just omit the charm loop step

RSS

© 2021   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service