Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

I own quite a few of the dolls including Abbey, Spectra, Toralei, and Nefera (some of the more difficult ones to locate). With the exception of Toralei who I received as a gift at Christmas I've purchased all of my dolls with my own money at stores. I do refuse to look online and spend $80 on a doll that is worth $20 just because it's hard to find.

Aside from the fact that I'm 20yo, going to school, working part time and paying rent....I have very little money. Every time I go to a store that carries the dolls I go immediately to the MH section with my roommate and we search the shelves for any dolls I don't have. She doesn't collect them herself but she does customs and really likes them so she's always willing to help.

There have been occasions where I find a rare doll I need and they actually have two or more on the shelf but I NEVER pick up more than one. I've actually decided that I will start buying multiples when I can send sell them here on the forums for the exact price I paid for it in stores.

I'm sick of others buying the dolls and selling them on ebay or amazon or even here for ridiculous amounts of money. The one time I considered buying a doll from someone on the forums they wanted $40 for one claiming that the shipping, within the US, would be $20. This is not true. I have sent 5 Monster High dolls through priority USPS mail for $8 all together. The dolls are not that heavy therefore the shipping is not that much. If you overnight it, 2 days it, or even send it first class then yes it will be more. But $40 each? That's just being greedy.

Even though I know this won't get through to a lot of you, I'm encouraging you all to STOP buying the dolls on amazon and ebay and STOP paying 3x their retail price and MAYBE we can get those people to either lower their prices or stop selling all together. I may just be dreaming but what's the point in lining their pockets? When you pay $50 for a $20 (less) doll you're telling them that you'll pay even more so they're only raise their prices. This is really getting out of hand.

I also want to address one more things that's been annoying me. I've seen a few people who have purchased more than one (just using her as an example) Cupid doll, keeping one pristine and customizing the other. The only reason this upsets me is because it's already hard enough to find her without these people buying one just to customize. I want to use Spectra for one of my OCs but I refuse to until it's normal to see her in stores (if that ever happens) because I know others are still looking for her. I understand how lucky one is to find more than one of these dolls seeing how hard they are to locate but it just angers me :/

Since I've used rationality in this post and have been careful not to offend anyone or use strong language please respect me by doing the same. I am in no way trying to start arguments and will not respond to attacks.

Edit: Alright I know it's difficult not to get angry at others on the internet. I'll admit that I have a very short fuse and my temper gets the best of me more often than not. But I have been nothing but respectful to all of you and I expect you to be the same. I do not appreciate this forum being filled with rude names. This website is full of both minors and adults so I hope that the adults at least will hold their tongues. If you're angry please step back from your computer until you can reply calmly and rationally. Thank you.

Views: 3643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Victoria could have made her point a little less dramatically, but she's right that you guys are sort of heaping a lot of guilt on customizers who are lucky enough to have good distribution and few scalpers in their area. We bought the dolls, so we're allowed to do what we want with them--it's not "greedy." They're our property, and you guys are not allowed to dictate what we do with our property. Especially since, in my area, even rare dolls sometimes hang out on shelves forever. Even if I did buy a pristine Cupid, I do have every right do do whatever I'd like with her. I'm careful to buy flawed dolls myself because I just prefer not to ruin a doll that looks perfect when she could sit on someone's shelf, but that's my prerogative. It's not a rule.

The title of this discussion is "Why we can't find the dolls," and in including customizers in the original complaint, you lumped us in with scalpers, which is unfair and untrue. Scalpers are the ones intentionally artificially driving up the scarcity and price of the original dolls, and they are a huge problem. Customizers are a small part of the community. Even if we take into account every single customized Cupid out there, we're talking about a very small number of Cupids compared to the ones bought in bulk and being auctioned off on eBay by scalpers. It's just very insulting to the customizing community to have us included in a discussion of why other people aren't able to find the dolls--we aren't out clearing out shelves to ensure you can't find the dolls. We're fans, spending our money like everyone else. 

I also think that by including customizers, you diluted your original argument, which is to stop buying dolls at inflated prices from eBay scalpers, which is absolutely the best course of action. By making scalpers sit on dolls they can't sell, we discourage them from being so zealous about buying Monster High dolls, which means more dolls for us--and we already know that Mattel listens to our distribution complaints, as they're re-releasing Abbey soon. So by being patient, we'll hopefully beat the scalping problem soon. 

I'm not super interested in continuing this discussion, but I think Ru is dead on, thanks for that. 

Something that I think will actually help everyone involved? Here's some tips to grabbing dolls. I found those 6 cupids (which again, I did not buy all of, I only bought 1) not on accident, but after careful planning and prepreation.

1) Check stocklists! Walmarts actually have their stocklists of cupids posted! Check every evening after closing and every morning before the store opens. If they have any in stock, you have about an 8 hour window before they're gone.

2) Call the stores like TRU to find out when they restock. They are usually more than helpful in providing you this information. TRU unfortunately does not have online 'stock' lists, therefore calling the morning when they restock to ask what dolls they have seems to be the best way to go. 

3) Patience: I had all but given up on a cupid, I bought one off of ebay (silly I know) but Walmarts are restocking! just keep a keen eye out and check check check the site! 

4) Know how your stores catagorize the dolls. Target has one SKU number for each line of dolls. If you check on their site, they don't have Operetta or Toralei or Nefera, but they have the same SKU as the other basic dolls. If you check and they suddenly have a 'basic' doll in stock, you can bet your socks they got a shipment that morning and you might get lucky and find the doll you want! 

These are just a couple of things I've learned in the past few weeks, I hope that these tips can help you find the dolls you want and beat the scalpers! I realize I am also pretty privileged in the fact that I'm an adult who has her own car and can drive 20 miles or so to my nearest walmart (seriously, there are NO walmarts in my area, TONS of targets tho...)

Hope this will help everyone, happy collecting :)  

Once again this issue is being blown out of proportion. I don't know how many times I must say it until someone actually registers the fact that I too am a customizer! Currently in the works I have a DotD Clawdeen, DotD Frankie, Holt, GB Cleo, Ghoulia, and basic Frankie. I was in no way lumping this group with the scalpers. I was merely stating one last thing that was aggravating me when it comes to the rare dolls. I think it's great that you only buy the dolls that are flawed. I bought a Ghoulia with two right hands. and switched it out so my DT Ghoulia has the two right hands the one I'm customizing for a friend is now correct. No matter how many people get angry or annoyed with customizers the larger problem will forever be the scalpers. When I mentioned customizers I was not expecting it to consume this discussion. I was trying to prevent arguments which everyone seems to have ignored whether or not their acting "civil". Next time perhaps I will keep in mind that no matter what I say there will be people who get angry.

I wanted this discussion to be about the scalpers and maybe some support in the fight to discourage them. It may be my fault for mentioning customizers to begin with but most of this discussion is coming from customizers which is only encouraging others to defend themselves. You  may feel attacked but what about us? Are you not attacking us when we are merely venting a bit. Not yet have I seen anyone saying anything truly offensive to customizers.

Ru said:

Victoria could have made her point a little less dramatically, but she's right that you guys are sort of heaping a lot of guilt on customizers who are lucky enough to have good distribution and few scalpers in their area. We bought the dolls, so we're allowed to do what we want with them--it's not "greedy." They're our property, and you guys are not allowed to dictate what we do with our property. Especially since, in my area, even rare dolls sometimes hang out on shelves forever. Even if I did buy a pristine Cupid, I do have every right do do whatever I'd like with her. I'm careful to buy flawed dolls myself because I just prefer not to ruin a doll that looks perfect when she could sit on someone's shelf, but that's my prerogative. It's not a rule.

The title of this discussion is "Why we can't find the dolls," and in including customizers in the original complaint, you lumped us in with scalpers, which is unfair and untrue. Scalpers are the ones intentionally artificially driving up the scarcity and price of the original dolls, and they are a huge problem. Customizers are a small part of the community. Even if we take into account every single customized Cupid out there, we're talking about a very small number of Cupids compared to the ones bought in bulk and being auctioned off on eBay by scalpers. It's just very insulting to the customizing community to have us included in a discussion of why other people aren't able to find the dolls--we aren't out clearing out shelves to ensure you can't find the dolls. We're fans, spending our money like everyone else. 

I also think that by including customizers, you diluted your original argument, which is to stop buying dolls at inflated prices from eBay scalpers, which is absolutely the best course of action. By making scalpers sit on dolls they can't sell, we discourage them from being so zealous about buying Monster High dolls, which means more dolls for us--and we already know that Mattel listens to our distribution complaints, as they're re-releasing Abbey soon. So by being patient, we'll hopefully beat the scalping problem soon. 

I know Im going to get flamed here but im guilty of this to, my local walmart was lucky enough to completly stock shelves with cupid ( at least 20+ ) so I bought 4 --- 1st for my daughter, 2nd for my niece, 3rd and 4th I've use for trades to get abbey and spectra at a reasonable price ( ex. buy cupid for 18.98 trade for abbey then makes abbey 18.98 ) instead of the 40.00 to 80.00 there asking for those dolls on ebay and/or amazon, as a perent trying to get those dolls for my little girl while on a budget, I made that decision and would do it again 

That's completely different. It's the scalpers that we're really after. I have a friend living in the UK who has a hard time finding the dolls so when I'm lucky enough to find more than one of a rare doll I pick it up for her. It's still going to her collection and it wouldn't be any different than someone else coming in right after me and buying it.

I also think it's ok when someone buys one for display and one to keep boxed up. And there's nothing wrong with trading because I'm sure that they're going to someone who needs them for their collection. And, regardless of what others who post here seem to think now, I also think that there is nothing wrong with buying an extra to customize. It's when you're selling them on ebay for 3x the price.

CKasper said:

I know Im going to get flamed here but im guilty of this to, my local walmart was lucky enough to completly stock shelves with cupid ( at least 20+ ) so I bought 4 --- 1st for my daughter, 2nd for my niece, 3rd and 4th I've use for trades to get abbey and spectra at a reasonable price ( ex. buy cupid for 18.98 trade for abbey then makes abbey 18.98 ) instead of the 40.00 to 80.00 there asking for those dolls on ebay and/or amazon, as a perent trying to get those dolls for my little girl while on a budget, I made that decision and would do it again 

do you have any dolls now i refuse to buy them from ebay please let me know if you have any dolls.

I'm with you 100% this is such bull I went on the toys r us website and it had the meowlody and purrsephone dolls where you can ship to home I go to click to add it to my cart and all of a sudden it's out of stock .. I been looking at this page since last night and it only now reflected it was in stock and not they're all gone freakin greedy people.. they didn't even email me that it was in sock even though I had it set up to do so.. I just don't get it.. when I buy a doll I get it because I want it.. I don't have the whole collection.. I just have like 2 more dolls I want for my own.. I can even understand buying one and selling one at a reasonable price (even though I've never sold any online) but the thought of these people going into a store and buying 5 or more at a time (with help of friends of course) and taking them out of the hand of a child is appalling. This one person sold NINETEEN meowlady and purrsephone dolls and STILL had more to sell.. that's disgusting!! 

I totally agree with the whole scalping issue! It is just greed and money hungry people that do it, it annoys me so much...especially that some of the exclusives and hard to find dolls aren't even released in Australia! I don't think Gil was even released here!

Of course I sympathize because I know how disappointing it is when you can't find a doll that you wanted anywhere...but in saying that I guess we are kind of lucky that MH isn't in such a high demand in Australia that there are scalpers around buying up all the dolls. At my local TRU there was 1 rochelle left last month,  but I couldn't afford it, so mum went back 4 days later...it was still there!

Was there more than on Cupid released? or are you all talking about the 1600th one (we only got that one here), if so there are always heaps of her, moreso than the other 1600th dolls!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Stu Carter.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service