Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

I got into Monster High through the dolls and have been watching webisodes the last week and a half. 

I have to say, Cleo treats the other girls badly especially in the first and second season and treats Deuce even worse in all three seasons.  It seems like any episode that has the two of them interacting, he has to defend himself from a dramatic and public accusation from her based on little to no evidence or she's using his gaze to make her life easier. 

She is constantly taking things away from Ghoulia without a thought, a thank you or a hesitation and never apologized to Operetta even though she was completelly, loudly and publicly in the wrong. 

Honestly, I don't like her and can't see why Deuce and the girls put up with her.  I'm overloaded in college right now but if I had more time, I have a fanfiction running around my head to break up Deuce and Cleo and put Deuce with someone that would treat him better.

I know a lot of people like Cleo and maybe I haven't seen the right episodes to be able to appreciate her so this is an honest question - why do people like Cleo?

Views: 1097

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everyone was more than cordial. Everyone was kind and friendly and made a lot of sense.  I really enjoyed reading what everyone had to say.

Midori Fae said:

There was nothing to blast.  You asked a good question, and people here answered it cordially.  At least, I hope we were cordial.  ^^;;

Ahra Raven said:

Thank you to everyone that answered this and didn't just blast me. I appreciated everyone's views and explanations. I'll keep watching webisodes. I'm not sure if I will ever like her but you all definitely gave me things to think about and a softer view of her.

Thank you again for nicely explaining it to me.

Cleo undergoes a lot of character development in the series, going from something of a villain to a close friend of the girls.  In my opinion, Cleo has the prettiest face mold too.

I like her in the webisodes and movies but I've never seen a Cleo doll that I want to buy. To me she's too normal, not monster looking at all.

eh I'll be honest she's one of my favorite dollls but its mostly b/c I love Egyptian culture. Other than that yeah I dont like her as a person, though she can be amusing to watch when she gets so over the top....

i've never been a big fan of Cleo either but these responses really got me thinking. I'll most likely rewatch some of the webisodes/movies and really start having a different approach on how I view Cleo too with these responses in mind. :D (I'm still gonna always root for Deuce and Rochelle though haha) :) Thanks poster for asking this question and thanks everyone for helping me see her in a different light. The responses here were wonderful to read. :)

It's hard to judge a character based on just the webisodes. They don't show as much growth, since characters seem to constantly reset for the sake of the next 2-3 minute gag.

However, if you watch the specials, Cleo's grown quite a bit. She started off as the antagonist, but is a friend now, and it seems that her entire princess schtick is now mostly in her own head, and the other ghouls don't pay her any mind about it. IMO, Cleo's reactions and remarks are often the funniest in the specials now because of how self-deluded she is about it all, and often the comments play only to herself, with an eye roll from the other ghouls. Always makes me laugh.

I'm gonna do some major ranting.

1) I tend to have a taste for the "mean girls" in things like MH. That is why Toralei is my favorite. Cleo used to be.

2) I now H-A-T-E hate Cleo. She just as low-down as her obnoxious sister.

3) Cleo acts like a sweet little rose when she acted the EXACT SAME WAY as Toralei before. ( example: ruining drama club tryouts for clawdeen)

I am not a fan of Cleo. If you wanna shun me for it, go ahead X_X

I believe someone already mentioned how beautiful her dolls usually are. Even aside from the facts of her upbringing and expectations she has for herself, she is a REAL character. She stands out from the other monsters as this picture perfect girl, but in fact we in the real world see how flawed she is. Her friends have accepted her, and so has the fan base.

I do, think it would be an interesting story to have her and Deuce break up. I think Deuce and Rochelle would be a perfect couple since Rochelle could be seen by Deuce without problem since she is already stone. That would be a great MH movie, that could really turn the spotlight on Cleo and explain who she is. But I doubt that will happen since they touched base on that in Ghouls Rule.

Question for all Rochelle/Deuce shippers.

Is there anything else about Rochelle/Deuce that makes them a good pairing besides 'They can look each other in the eyes without danger?'

Just a question. Because just that seems like a shallow basis for a relation.

Other then this argument, 'They look cute together' or 'I don't like Cleo', I haven't seen any other reasons. 

BioShocked89 said:

I believe someone already mentioned how beautiful her dolls usually are. Even aside from the facts of her upbringing and expectations she has for herself, she is a REAL character. She stands out from the other monsters as this picture perfect girl, but in fact we in the real world see how flawed she is. Her friends have accepted her, and so has the fan base.

I do, think it would be an interesting story to have her and Deuce break up. I think Deuce and Rochelle would be a perfect couple since Rochelle could be seen by Deuce without problem since she is already stone. That would be a great MH movie, that could really turn the spotlight on Cleo and explain who she is. But I doubt that will happen since they touched base on that in Ghouls Rule.

Actually, I'm not a Rochelle/Deuce shipper because of the same reason you have.  I haven't really seen a reason for them to be attracted to each other other than that they can look into each other's eyes. 

I did mention that I had a fanfiction of hooking Deuce up with someone other than Cleo in my head but it wasn't Rochelle I was thinking of.  The one I was thinking of would require some character growth in several people to make it work but, to me, that would be the fun.  Relationships make us grow.

But anyway, I'm curious too.  So, all of you Rochelle/Deuce shippers out there, why would they be a good couple?  What do you imagine them doing on dates or how would their relationship work?  I'm sure a lot of you have some great answers just like the Cleo fans had wonderful answers so I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

I enjoy a good anti hero or outright villain, especially when the darker aspects of the character get a good explanation. Just as I saw Snape and thought to myself "there must be more to this person", for me I had the same reaction to Cleo. As her motivations and glimpses of her past come up, the darkness makes more sense, and here nicer side comes out. I also like the werecats because I can see there loyalty to each other and jailhouse mentality. If all the cast were sweet as honey, I would have been disappointed, but instead I get interesting points of social friction and keep watching.

This is a seriously dumb question, but what is the "jailhouse mentality" that you mention?

nox_lumen said:

I enjoy a good anti hero or outright villain, especially when the darker aspects of the character get a good explanation. Just as I saw Snape and thought to myself "there must be more to this person", for me I had the same reaction to Cleo. As her motivations and glimpses of her past come up, the darkness makes more sense, and here nicer side comes out. I also like the werecats because I can see there loyalty to each other and jailhouse mentality. If all the cast were sweet as honey, I would have been disappointed, but instead I get interesting points of social friction and keep watching.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service