Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Who The Heck Is Responsible For The Stupid Ruination Of Everything Wonderful About Monster High?

Was it Garrett Sander*? The other designers? The CEO? The accountants? The marketing department? Who could it be????

I just want to know who these depraved imbeciles were. Who screws something like this up so bad? Monster High was overtaking Barbie's sales until someone decided to literally ruin everything. Who was that someone?

Who came up with the idea to completely destroy the awesome original backstory, and ditch dozens of very beloved, intricate characters for something completely new that feels more juvenile? Who decided on pink-ad-nauseum overload? Who thought no more articulation or stands was a good, appealing idea? Who took the amazing, bold, special, classic artwork of the original Wave 1 boxes and decided to make cheap, ugly, boring, busy, humdrum, mundane, banal, commercialized garbage packaging? Who decided developing the personalities of the characters was unimportant?

I actually really like the new look of the movies (NOT the look of the new webisodes, which sucks compared to the original webisodes!), and they are actually funny and well made, but I do NOT like the new back story that ignores the original AWESOME backstory/premise of the original webisodes, and I DO NOT like the sudden drop of beloved old characters and the very crappy, cheap quality of the dolls, especially the lack of articulation or those weird gappy joints.

I just want someone to leak what happened behind those closed doors in El Segundo. Because this is so baffling to me my brain is literally hurting.

There was a brilliant way of managing Monster High, which is what they did at first, and then there was the completely moronic, destructive, incompetent way of handling Monster High, which has completely ruined it for everyone in a short period of time.

Thoughts? I have no ideas who would do this or why. Clearly it was NOT TO IMPROVE SALES OR CREATE POSITIVE CUSTOMER RELATIONS.

I may not have much experience running a business, or toy design, or marketing, but Mattel, you should hire me because I am not a COMPLETE DROOLING IDIOT, which would be a huge step up from whoever you currently let run the show.

*(I kind of doubt it was Garrett Sander, but what do I know? Why did he create something so perfect, only to have all his great ideas thrown in the trash and ruined? Why would he let that happen? The packaging alone is a crying shame! I heard he was making the movies now, and they do show and INCREDIBLE amount of improvement (I just watched the newest 2), both in artwork, humor, and plots that make sense and have continuity, but I miss the original premise/canon/backstory of Monster High, Frankie's original voice, etc. although I do like Cleo being less mean and annoying. But other than that!)

Did anyone else notice that Frankie went from being the main character, to the pink girl (Draculaura) is now the main character? So lame it always has to be pink and cutesy is the main focus of everything.

Views: 1206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sadly the w2 redux bodies are even worse. g2 launch bodies weren't bad, thicker, sturdier feeling though a lot stifer to actually pose in many cases. but they were fine. they fixed a lot of the problems from the g1 bodies, made the knees sturdier and all that... but then for some totally bewildering reason they decided "oh hey, let's cut more plastic from this and make gappy bodies that barely hold together instead!"

now, what astounds me about that is that making a new mold 1: isn't cheap and 2: takes a while to get into production. These new gappy bodies started appearing about 3 months into the reboot which means that even before the reboot launched they must have started the gappy body. Why the hell would they spend the money molding a body they didn't intend to use long term? It makes no sense. To waste the money creating a sculpt for Frankie, Clawdeen, Draculaura, Lagoona and Drac and then only 3 months in replace those bodies with the new gappy as crap ones with the ugly unremovable hands and ill fitting joints? It's the same torso, but totally different limbs. They had to remold and reengineer (badly) a whole new lot of limbs and WHY!??? to save some pennies in plastic?

and it's not like that cost saving is going to the buyer either, we're still being charged through the nose for inferior products.

I don't get it. I just don't. Surely it would have been cheaper to just use the original damn molds for g2?

and the gappy bodies are SO ugly and SO fragile, they take a running leap backward in structural integrity and Mattel just flat out doesn't care. It's like they WANT the dolls to break, so parents have to buy more... and more. But parents aren't that stupid, they just won't buy your crappy product.

it feels like self sabotage and I don't understand. I really just don't understand and it frustrates me so much.

Hello,

I agree with some of the things that everyone else has been saying, although I don't agree with everything....

I love the molded bandages, fur, etc., but I'm secretly hoping....Muahaha....that those stupid, gappy-jointed Garden Ghouls dolls will sit and rot on Big Kmart's shelf for, like, ever....until they have to be sent to another Kmart, because those are the MH dolls that deserve to be given no second chances on the Clearance shelf!

With regards to the bodies, etc., I love the look of Winning Werewolves Clawd's sexier body (I sooo want a new-style Clawd doll already!), but my hands are not liking the fact that the newer joints are tougher to move.  ARG!  :(

I think that it'd actually be exciting and revitalizing if Mattel created a few different body molds for the ghouls, like they did for the Fashionistas, because if they're gonna make separate outfit sets for each character, anyway, then who cares if every character has the same body type anymore? That's the way that I see it, anyway.

Is there already a "MH Suggestions to Mattel" thread on this board? We need to put our ideas out there, in case anyone from Mattel is reading these boards! I may just create a thread for us, because I'll bet that we all have some good ideas, ideas that involve articulation, creativity, and non-nylon hair. LOL!  :)

<Disappears into a shadow>

Goodbye,

The Whispering Wolf / Wolfie 

i know people always wanted abbey tall and drac short like their animations. I wish they had. I also like the molded details, but cleo's bandages need paint or something, they look wierd skin toned.

they did do variation with eah, three body sizes that were close enough to be interchangeable. then mh had the two other girl bodies too. so not sure why they couldn't repurpose some of those.

I hope those awful gappy bodies shelf sit too. I'd rather have static dolls than pay through the nose for those gappy bodies. I call them "toblerone" bodies lol. Because of what the company who makes toblerone did to their chocolate bars to save money.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/11/16/JS113204524-...

Totally the same effect.

"i know people always wanted abbey tall and drac short like their animations. I wish they had."

HEAR, HEAR! It was stupid of them not to do this!

"I also like the molded details, but cleo's bandages need paint or something, they look wierd skin toned."

On this, I have to agree with poster Rey, who commented earlier. I don't like the molded on bandages. Clawdeen's molded-on "fur", and the change to Lagoona's leg fins, I could take or leave. The change to the webbing on Lagoona's hands and arms, however, depresses me. The clear webbing and fins really made her doll incredibly special. It was just one of those wonderful, magical Monster High details, one of the reasons this doll line/product was so special, the kind of detail that made it exceptional. The lower leg fins always end up falling out, even though mine are mostly display and not even "played with" except for very gently. Either glue those leg ones in, or mold them on like they have started doing is fine.

"Toblerone" bodies XD oh gosh! I think crappy articulation is better than none, but seriously, how hard is it to just keep using the good molds? Why did they need to ruin it???? Making the articulation suck on purpose is inexcusable and heinous!

"sadly the w2 redux bodies are even worse. g2 launch bodies weren't bad, thicker, sturdier feeling though a lot stifer to actually pose in many cases. but they were fine. they fixed a lot of the problems from the g1 bodies, made the knees sturdier and all that... but then for some totally bewildering reason they decided "oh hey, let's cut more plastic from this and make gappy bodies that barely hold together instead!"

now, what astounds me about that is that making a new mold 1: isn't cheap and 2: takes a while to get into production. These new gappy bodies started appearing about 3 months into the reboot which means that even before the reboot launched they must have started the gappy body. Why the hell would they spend the money molding a body they didn't intend to use long term? It makes no sense. To waste the money creating a sculpt for Frankie, Clawdeen, Draculaura, Lagoona and Drac and then only 3 months in replace those bodies with the new gappy as crap ones with the ugly unremovable hands and ill fitting joints? It's the same torso, but totally different limbs. They had to remold and reengineer (badly) a whole new lot of limbs and WHY!??? to save some pennies in plastic?

and it's not like that cost saving is going to the buyer either, we're still being charged through the nose for inferior products.

I don't get it. I just don't. Surely it would have been cheaper to just use the original damn molds for g2?

and the gappy bodies are SO ugly and SO fragile, they take a running leap backward in structural integrity and Mattel just flat out doesn't care. It's like they WANT the dolls to break, so parents have to buy more... and more. But parents aren't that stupid, they just won't buy your crappy product.

it feels like self sabotage and I don't understand. I really just don't understand and it frustrates me so much."

I couldn't agree more This whole thing is baffling, frustrating, and distressing. It's ridiculous and makes NO sense. And it is cheating the customer, who is paying good money.

Hello,

I hope that people are smart enough to buy only those current items that they truly want, and that they're smart enough to pass up those freaking gappy bodies, so that Mattel starts to dig the idea that we....don't....want....gappy....dolls already! ARG!

<Disappears into a shadow>

Goodbye,

The Whispering Wolf / Wolfie

sadly there are fans out there who are SO addicted and blind and have way too much money that they think it's "no big deal" to spend money on a defective doll and then buy more stuff to fix it (a whole new doll for a replacement body for instance). It's really pissing me off seeing fans blindly continue to support Mattel's crap but not surprising. Same thing happened with Bratz in 2010. The 10/10/10 dolls were horribly made with frizzy awful hair and there were reports of their heads coming off while deboxing. You know the fan reaction? "oh it's a feature!" "it's not a big deal" "i'll just reroot her"

Yeah because we all have 12 hours to spend doing that and the £20 to spend on HAIR. *eyerpll*

I swear these people live in a different universe to the rest of us.

And I admit I do get more angry about it I think because i've lived in poverty most of my adult life and get bitter and resentful seeing people who have such expendable income they can just throw it away on crap while I feel guilty about each and every purchase.

I have to say.. the g2 bodies are sturdy and kind of remind me about eah bodies. They need to bring back articulation. It's just another body transplant while the other non articulated body is thrown away or wasted. This makes me and venus sad because this is just adding up waste to the world. If there was a choice to end monster high or deal with it now I'd end it because of the reason of the waste. Besides, there are tons of g1 dolls out there. And I mean TONS. And I too want to know who caused this and tell them to please stop..

If only MH would end on a high but they've got to milk it for everything, but if it ended right now there are other lines there will be something, changing the target audience was a bad move at that age Monsters are more cute and fuzzy but at the original age group monsters were more dark and edgy so it's spoiled now, g2 had some perks yes, and we can our collection and buy what we missed second hand it's what I hope to do, it's sad it's gone this way, EAH too, EAH didn't need a reboot it was newer than MH still and it had interesting concepts about following path then it became a stereotypical this is a princess line, oh lets not be brave and strong and bold fight and save people let's just have a tea party, which was sad cause we got Disney Princesses which pretty much caters to all ages and is more diverse splitting the age groups, eah had a focus on the original fairy tales so not just princesses but other characters and it worked until princesses are powerful happens. 

it's a shame two good lines murdered by their own company and why? sure a reboot would happen eventually to keep things fresh but it was too soon and not at all what should have happened and it's too late to go back to the way things were.

and yes quality has gone downhill fast, I kind of always feared MH would go down the static and moulded painted tops root and they did, I though they were good for not doing that, but the thing is quality has shifted the price sure hasn't, cheaper quality means the dolls should be cheaper.

Count me in, I pretty much stopped buying after the reboot.  I'm being super picky now and did buy the shriekwrecked dolls because I thought they were too cute.  Currently the family members have caught my eye...we'll see.  But yes, sorely disappointed that the line was drastically changed for the worst.  Whoever thinks non articulated dolls are a good thing has got to be crazy, be it on a MH doll or Barbie.  I love the new body types and different sculpts of the fashionistas, but until they're articulated I won't bite.  

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service