Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Right, so i've been running around for a few days trying to put this puzzle together.

Here in the Uk, there have been no Slo Mo sightings. I don't believe any stores in the US have seen him either.

Anyway, contacting every toy store who had him advertised, they all told me the same thing. "Our supplier didn't deliver"

Mattel UK informed me cases including Slo Mo would be released in April, a good three months after the initial release which is very worrying.

However I then had a chat with Mattel US who actually usually are more clued up on things (Mattel UK are morons, they tried to tell me at one point that Cupid wasn't being shipping in assortments with Draculaura when I had a freaking box of them IN FRONT OF ME)

Anyway, here's my conversation:

Me:  Why do no stores have him and only assortments of the three girls? despite clearly advertising all four characters on the boxes and in shops.
Diana:  Slo Mo is being released this year to the major retailers of Wal-Mart, Target and Toys R Us.
Me:  Yes, but Ghoul Spirt as a line has HIT major retailers
Me:  he is NOT in the cases.
Me:  why?
Diana:  Just a moment.
Mel:  and is there any word of when he might start to appear?
Diana:  Thank you for waiting.
Me:  No problem
Diana:  Here in the United States, he will be sold under his product number of BGD87 and be released later this spring.
Diana:  The cases of the dolls do not have the Slo Mo figure in it.
Me  So does that mean he'll get his own case or will you just seed him into the cases with the girls?
Diana:  I'm sorry that I do not have any information for the United Kingdom.
Me:  and if so, how is that going to help his scarcity?
Me:  I mean in the US
Me:  The problem is, the boy dolls are very in demand and with 1 per case, they sell out immediately
Diana:  I'm sorry. He is sold in a case of 6 to the major retailers.
Me:  then people resell them on Ebay for crazy inflated prices
Me:  So he's getting his own case?
Me:  JUST of him? No girls?
Diana:  You would need to check to see with the affiliate if the "Slo Mo” Mortavitch is going to be sold there.
Diana:  The case only has 6 of him in it.
Me:  That's amazing news, i'm so relieved to hear it.
Diana:  Can I help you with anything else today?
Me:  thank you for that.

Diana:  Thank you for contacting Mattel. Have a nice day!

So.. mattel US are saying that "in the spring" (March/April time?) we should see cases of just Slo Mo hit stores? If so, YES! But what the hell? Very strange way to do this release, why not include him in the initial run in the first bloody place *sigh*

But good news is, if this is true, we shouldn't have any trouble finding him within the US. Hopefully the UK stores that are having the trouble supplying him to annoyed customers, will also order these cases when the chance arises. Fingers and toes crossed, but I do feel better with a semi official word of single character cases.

Views: 19571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I spotted these today in a small store in whittier. He said he sold them already but maybe if you guys go talk to them they can get more.

I can't stand the hunt, and I'm a big fan of the boy dolls , but lately I haven't been that interested in stopping by my neighborhood Target/Walmart to look for anything. I'll get Moe whenever he becomes available on the shelf . My interest is starting to fade.

madpiratepixie said:

the problem with companies like Mattel is that they don't care about even distribution. just as long as the dolls sell then that is good enough, they get their money in the end. so why should they care if someone makes off with 50 of them and everyone else is left out. once these dolls leave the factory then its pretty much out of their hands. and that has been the problem, people do know how much these dolls are worth and they do try to make off with as many as they can just to resale them later.

the fact that so few of the boy dolls are made doesn't help when it comes to normal collectors, but when you add that to people only looking to resale for high prices. it causes a huge problem all the way around. you would think a company as large as Mattel would have figured that out by now and increased the number of products they sell. but clearly that isn't happening, because as some have already pointed out. this is not the first doll that have been MIA in stores and even In some cases imposable to find. yes after MONTHS those dolls did hit the shelves in large number. but by then the huge craze around the doll had cooled and they became nothing but shelf warmers. which then posed problems in the stocking of the next doll line!

this doll isn't even on the shelves yet and already a lot of people are turned off by him, all because the hunt for him has turned into a battle and we are sick of it.

Completely agree with you Triumvirate. 

There just hasn't been anything to hunt for yet. You might as well be hunting for the new I Love Fashion dolls. You're just as likely to find them as you are to find Slo Mo. For me, my Slo Mo hunt consists of plugging his name into Amazon once a day and running an ebay search once a day. Less than 5 minutes of my time while I'm online anyway. He'll get here.

It's frustrating for sure. I don't like to wait for my dolls. I want them NOW! :) But, there's never been a doll I haven't been able to find and Slo Mo will be no exception.   

+1 to Triumvirate's attitude...I haven't bothered looking for Slo Mo because when you track him on eBay, he simply hasn't hit yet at big retail.

I fully expect him to start hitting within the next week or so, though.  All of the indicators are pointing that way and have for about the last 3 weeks (with tiny retailers and Mattel's shop getting him in).  It's shown that cases with Slo Mo are in the pipeline, and it takes a few weeks for them to funnel through Big Box retailer distribution networks. 

I've never run into an MH doll I simply couldn't find, not even Gil.  I saw Gil 4-5 times in stores.  Funny story:  I was in the toy aisle at Walmart and Gil was on the shelves.  A little girl pointed at him and said "Mom!  He's a BAD GUY!"  and the mother just said "Yes honey, that's one of the bad guys." 

I should have bought every Gil I saw, of course, even the one that had two right hands.  Hindsight is 50/50.  But I'm not worried about getting Slo Mo...I'm just impatient.

I haven't lost interest in Moe, I've lost interest in hunting, and that's usually after they start showing up on the shelves so I haven't started hunting for him at all,, plus I've been a doll collector for over 10 years so I don't have a problem waiting to buy "play-line" dolls off the shelves... I'll find him I'm not worried about it I usually do, but this time surprisingly it doesn't matter when.

I'm losing interest in the hunt for these dolls..

Triumvirate said:

So, trying to understand here, are any of those of you that are losing interest in Slo Moe doing so because you weren't really a Slo Moe fan to begin with and were just caught up in the hype of a new in demand boy doll? I'd like to believe that's not the case, because if it is, and you never end up finding him, you really didn't need him to begin with. 

I started collecting back in 2011, and that was the worst time to be an MH collector because as a new brand that blew up overnight supply was not even close to meeting demand. The situation has vastly improved since then. But I remember all too well that feeling of hunting becoming a chore, and stressful, and taking the fun out of collecting when weeks went buy and items you were looking desperately for seemed unnecessarily elusive. 

But the reality is, if you live in the U.S. and are exhausted looking for Slo Moe, then you're just not being smart. I'm sorry. There has been no indication whatsoever since Ghoul Spirit was released back before Christmas that anyone in the U.S. should expect to be able to walk into a store and buy him. So, if you have been hunting frantically to the point of no longer wanting Slo Moe, you did that to yourself. Mattel didn't do that to you. 

I will be bummed if I never find a Slo Moe, because my daughter and I both really want him. But we have not in the least bit lost interest in finding him, and to us, it will be worth the wait no matter how long that wait is. And truthfully, we really haven't even started looking for him, because there is no good reason to yet. But believe me, the moment he starts hitting shelves in the U.S. to any degree that reasonably suggests it's time to start hunting, I will be getting my hunt on. 

finding him on the shelves next week would be a huge surprise to me, I would expect it to be more like next month if not later. but that is just based on the fact I am ONLY seeing him on ebay and still at the huge and outrages prices that we simply dont want pay. now I do have to admit that some of the prices have been lower, but these are still for PRE-SALE dolls only. what doll that are in hand are still way over priced and over all the number of listings is still pretty small. 

now I am still very new to MH collecting so I don't really know the release waves or anything like that. but I do know retail and if they are taking an item out of the computer then that normally means that they no longer carry it. the time it takes to not only stock shelves and make up tags is pretty time consuming, especially if its a large chain like Wal-Mart.. so I don't understand how you guys can say that this is a good indication that he is about to hit the shelves.. now maybe in a few months he could, but I wouldn't think as early as next week.

and yes I will admit that I have become obsess with this doll, not just because its a boy doll. but because there are so few boy "fashion" dolls out there. I have also become obsessed because of the limited time frame for doll hunting I have. but seeing that I will likely not find him before that time frame ends, I am in listing the add of others to obtain him and others I will likely not be able to get. but still I am also impatient..

Draconia St FIERCE said:

+1 to Triumvirate's attitude...I haven't bothered looking for Slo Mo because when you track him on eBay, he simply hasn't hit yet at big retail.

I fully expect him to start hitting within the next week or so, though.  All of the indicators are pointing that way and have for about the last 3 weeks (with tiny retailers and Mattel's shop getting him in).  It's shown that cases with Slo Mo are in the pipeline, and it takes a few weeks for them to funnel through Big Box retailer distribution networks. 

I've never run into an MH doll I simply couldn't find, not even Gil.  I saw Gil 4-5 times in stores.  Funny story:  I was in the toy aisle at Walmart and Gil was on the shelves.  A little girl pointed at him and said "Mom!  He's a BAD GUY!"  and the mother just said "Yes honey, that's one of the bad guys." 

I should have bought every Gil I saw, of course, even the one that had two right hands.  Hindsight is 50/50.  But I'm not worried about getting Slo Mo...I'm just impatient.

I don't actively go out hunting because it's exhausting and I know the chance of him hitting this country are next to nil. But it's frustrating even so. How long has GS been on shelves now? It's just ridiculous how long this is taking. Even Viperine and Jinafire hit quicker than bloody Slo Mo is (least it feels that way) and this isn't the first time they've botched the distribution of a doll.

We in the Uk had to wait several months for Venus and Robecca to hit because they got delayed massively by that bizarre decision to ship two "core assortment" cases simultaniously. One with rereleases and Cupid, and one with the two new characters seeded in. Everywhere had the rerelease cases and had to sell through those first, which of course took forever because most people already HAD those rereleased characters.

Now i've been collecting this line since they hit our shores in what, 2010? I don't even remember how long it's been... I remember the hunt for Ghoulia being gruelling but it did only take about a month after sightings started for her to hit. Felt like forever at the time, but it wasn't long enough for me to get apathetic toward her and annoyed.

I think at this point its just... it takes SO LONG for dolls to hit and then when they do, their distribution is so borked it takes weeks or months to even find them. It took me a good 3 months to track down I heart fashion Scarah for goodness sake! TRU UK have utterly messed up their stock of that line.

I'm not hugely optimistic about the release of Slo Mo in this country tbh. ALL stores here have removed him from their websites saying "our supplier has been unable to provide this product so we can no longer offer it" which they have never done with the later seeded girls. The uncertainty as to whether cases with him in will appear is worrying, if even stores don't know when the hell they'll be getting him, when usually they have an ETA on these things (They had an eta for Jinafire and Viperine, neither of which were ever removed from websites because they weren't in the first set of boxes) so that worries me. Like, what's different this time that stores aren't even listing Slo Mo?

I only saw Gil twice over here, the same day. Never again. I believe he was available for literally, LITERALLY 2 weeks. That's it, 2 weeks and the cases including him sold and out and bam, never again. We didn't get that 5 pack of dance class either, so he was particularly crazy rare over here. I don't want Slo mo to end up like that, it's just... so dumb.

I mean I want him, but then at the same time I feel like... "do I really want to support Mattel's crap?" and "Do I really want to go out hunting for a doll that everyone else seems to want and who'll be an absolute chore to find?"

Because in the end, after all the searching and ringing around stores once he IS confirmed to have hit, it's tiring and it burns you out. After months and months of seeing other people's "yay I got slo mo!" bragging, all the pictures etc, the excitement wears off and no matter how much I like the doll, over familiarity coupled with the frustration of not being able to have one of your own results in this anticlimax when you do finally find them. I had this with Venus and Robecca. It took me so many months of ringing around, nagging Mattel, nagging stores, when I finally brought them home I was underwhelmed.

This is disappointing and with Slo Mo being a budget doll anyway, I kinda only want him because he's Slo Mo and he's a boy. So I have no doubt the "meh" factor will be huge with this one. Really not worth the stress.

I've lost interest in hunting as well. And i'm just steadily losing interest in MH if they continue to be unable to meet the demand and keep screwing things up in such stupid obvious ways. Why did GS need 3 assortments anyway? Did they honestly expect people would be rushing to get that terrible Frankie and Spectra so bad they needed to have a case of JUST THOSE TWO??? It makes no sense. You have a case, you have 4 characters, put the four dolls in the damn box. *sigh*

That's my other concern. With how unpopular the rest of the GS line is, it's shelf sitting already. If the stores can't shift that stock, we'll never see the restock that includes Slo Mo right? Unless Mattel offer the slo mo only case they mentioned and advertise it as such.

I really hope we do see those slo mo only cases, because it's about the only chance they have to meet the demand for this stupid doll.

Right now, depressingly, it's actually easier for me to find a doll manufactured 50 years ago than a doll that's just been produced. That's really dumb and yeah, these really long gaps where we're waiting for stock to hit? My attention wanders to rival brands. Mattel actually lose sales because I only have a finite amount of money each month and with no MH I want available to spend that cash on, MGA and other rivals end up getting my cash because their stuff is on shelves. hmmm.

That said, OUAZ is still struggling to stay in stock as well, but that's more TRU's fault because they're the only store carrying the line and their restocks are a joke.

I hear you, Purple. To be honest, I am also tired. NOT of the dolls, my daughter loves them and so do I...the attention to detail, everything. But for those of us out of the U.S. (and as you know, I am more limited than most, on a small island in the south of Europe!!!!!) it's getting exhausting. Even the shops here have stopped stocking MH for the most part. I don't know, this is supposed to be fun, not constant frustration. I "bought" him on amazon.de ( I think it was some sort of waiting list where they would charge me and send as soon as he arrived) but even that seems to have died an early death, not even listed anymore. So I've sort of stopped looking...I will be in the U.S. in April, so maybe by some miracle he will be out by then.

Yeah I preordered through amazon.de as well, they were saying "expected march" and now it's may!???

So yeah, not optimistic there.

Exactly. We mustn't lose perspective. There are many worse things in life than not getting hold of Slo Mo!!!!! Mattel guys are shooting themselves in the foot with this attitude, because we're all going to rationalize and reach that conclusion. We just mustn't let them make him become a big deal for us :)))

Of course it shouldn't be a big deal, it's a toy for goodness sake but I still get all childish and stroppy and rargh.. I wantitnow! *stomp*

At the end of the day though, all it does it lose Mattel sales. Stupid mattel. Because those tired of waiting, will spend their money elsewhere.

One thing Truim.. you say another version will ALWAYS appear? So... where's our second release of Nefera? She's never had a second release even within a restricted market and I honestly doubt she ever will. Makes me VERY glad I picked her up when I did because yeah... sadly there is no guarantee we'll see more releases (even though it'd make sense, Mattel and sense? hah) and no guarantee any subsequent release will even be obtainable in your region (Dance Class Gil for instance)

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service