Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

So, there's been quite a bit of debate over Clawdeen, specifically the fact that she's the only one of the original 5 (6, if we're counting Ghoulia) girls who is currently sans-boyfriend. So let's put up a few discussion points:

-What kind of boy do you see with Clawdeen?
-Do you even see a boy? Is the idea of Clawdeen being a lesbian something you're ok with?
-If Clawdeen were to hypothetically be a lesbian, would that affect your opinion of her as a character, or of Monster High or Mattel?
-Does Clawdeen even NEED a to be in a relationship to be a good character, be it with a man or a woman?

Views: 5029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm basing my answer on real wolves. They are pack creatures. Draculaura's and Clawd's relationship revolves around the premise of forbidden romance, and they point out constantly that it's odd for them to be dating. I'm not saying Clawdeen has to date inside her species, but her being a very proud wolf it just seem highly likely.       

Sonnet said:

And you base that on what MH canon? Clawd's with Draculaura, Clawdeen has called Holt Hyde dreamy and none of the CMH werewolves that were free to choose their own dance partner danced with another werewolf. Except Romulus, of course. Romulus seems pretty big on keeping it within the species. The rest not so much. Or at least, the burden of proof is on the side that the werewolves commonly want another werewolf for partner.

Salem Hedgecraft said:

Also wolves are very pack oriented and if Clawdeen was going to get herself a man it would most likely be a werewolf.    

Where does it say Clawdeen is a proud wolf? Wasn't she AGAINST the whole 'Pack is Power' thing in the Fright On special? Kinda contradictory.

Salem Hedgecraft said:

I'm basing my answer on real wolves. They are pack creatures. Draculaura's and Clawd's relationship revolves around the premise of forbidden romance, and they point out constantly that it's odd for them to be dating. I'm not saying Clawdeen has to date inside her species, but her being a very proud wolf it just seem highly likely.       

Sonnet said:

And you base that on what MH canon? Clawd's with Draculaura, Clawdeen has called Holt Hyde dreamy and none of the CMH werewolves that were free to choose their own dance partner danced with another werewolf. Except Romulus, of course. Romulus seems pretty big on keeping it within the species. The rest not so much. Or at least, the burden of proof is on the side that the werewolves commonly want another werewolf for partner.

Salem Hedgecraft said:

Also wolves are very pack oriented and if Clawdeen was going to get herself a man it would most likely be a werewolf.    

She wasn't against being a werewolf, she was against dividing the school in two. And I implore you to find her once say she doesn't love herself or her family (saying she hates her sister for stealing her clothes doesn't count), have you seen her hide because she's ashamed of being who she is. Clawdeen is proud of who she is, and she is a werewolf! 

P-girl said:

Where does it say Clawdeen is a proud wolf? Wasn't she AGAINST the whole 'Pack is Power' thing in the Fright On special? Kinda contradictory.

Salem Hedgecraft said:

I'm basing my answer on real wolves. They are pack creatures. Draculaura's and Clawd's relationship revolves around the premise of forbidden romance, and they point out constantly that it's odd for them to be dating. I'm not saying Clawdeen has to date inside her species, but her being a very proud wolf it just seem highly likely.       

Sonnet said:

And you base that on what MH canon? Clawd's with Draculaura, Clawdeen has called Holt Hyde dreamy and none of the CMH werewolves that were free to choose their own dance partner danced with another werewolf. Except Romulus, of course. Romulus seems pretty big on keeping it within the species. The rest not so much. Or at least, the burden of proof is on the side that the werewolves commonly want another werewolf for partner.

Salem Hedgecraft said:

Also wolves are very pack oriented and if Clawdeen was going to get herself a man it would most likely be a werewolf.    

Just because Clawdeen has never had a boyfriend in the line, does not mean she is a lesbian.  Even if she was, it wouldn't matter.  Remember in the background if the webisode where they go to the movies, Clawdeen is sitting with Heath.  (Even though she is looking very annoyed and p.o.ed) I think it still shows an interest in guys.  If anything she might be bi.  I really don't think Mattel would do that since a lot of littler kids are into it.

Well in Fright On! she danced with Romeulous
Clawd's best friend and I think she blushed
a bit. Personally, as a fan, I would trust her 
method on the path of true love.  : D

Well I personally love that Clawdeen is single. Like mentioned earlier and as I've said before on other sites and amongst my friends here at home, Clawdeen being single shows little girls/boys that it is okay to be single. That they don't need a partner to be happy and to fit in with their friends. I love that about her! As for the lesbian thing, if they had to have her in a relationship I would love for her to be with another girl. It teaches kids/teens it's okay to love the same sex and that they should be proud of who they are. I really wish people were more accepting

Actually, that makes sense. I mean, flirting is a LOT more fun when you don't have/want to go steady. It's a hobby, not a way of getting a steady relationship for her.

I think.

/Happy Single

Celia De Vil said:

I think Clawdeen's personality fits with being single. That's different and I like that. If Clawdeen had a boyfriend, then they all would have boyfriends and then it would be just too boring. I like the charaters just as they are.

In Clawdeen's bio it says that one of her "favorite activities" is flirting with boys. That's actually kinda weird, because she DOESN'T have a boyfriend.

This. When you're actually in a relationship flirting with people other than your partner[s] is a social no-no provided you're not in an open relationship. But when you're single you can flirt witch whomever you want, whenever you want. Flirting is [typically] a single person hobby, not one for people who are in a relationship.

P-girl said:

Actually, that makes sense. I mean, flirting is a LOT more fun when you don't have/want to go steady. It's a hobby, not a way of getting a steady relationship for her.

I think.

/Happy Single

Celia De Vil said:

I think Clawdeen's personality fits with being single. That's different and I like that. If Clawdeen had a boyfriend, then they all would have boyfriends and then it would be just too boring. I like the charaters just as they are.

In Clawdeen's bio it says that one of her "favorite activities" is flirting with boys. That's actually kinda weird, because she DOESN'T have a boyfriend.

Many lesbians and people of other sexualities date heteronormativly because that's what's expected of/taught to them. Just because she went on a date with a boy doesn't mean that's what she's attracted to.

I'm not saying Clawdeen is a lesbian- I personally hate the stigma that if you don't have a boyfriend you must be a lesbian- but I am saying going on a date or even being in a relationship with a boy doesn't mean she's NOT a lesbian.

Alley Kat said:

Remember in the background if the webisode where they go to the movies, Clawdeen is sitting with Heath.  (Even though she is looking very annoyed and p.o.ed) I think it still shows an interest in guys. If anything she might be bi.

Clawdeen has been my favorite character from the very beginning. Regardless of what they decide to do with her, I will always love her. She's a strong spirited, independent female who stands as a positive role model and a champion of personal achievement. Whatever she decides will make her the most happy, I will support.

Hehe. I always liked to imagine Clawdeen as a lesbian. Not because she didn't have a boyfriend, but because that's just how I imagined it. My doll of her poses well with other girls for some reason. I also always thought that her initial reaction to Draculaura dating Clawd was more due to jealousy then "it's weird having my friend date my brother".

But I don't really mind that she doesn't have a boyfriend, because she doesn't need one. :)

A lot of the attitudes I'm reading here are frightening and frankly disappointing.

To be in support of a lgbtq character but sigh and say "but parents/society isn't ready for that'" or "buuuuut the children," is sad at best.

Do you think there will be a day when we as a society just kind of look at each other and collectively nod our heads in solidarity and say, "yeah, okay, the time is right for this, lets do this thing now, everyone is suddenly okay with it" and no one ever speaks out against this decision? Or does it take a smaller fraction standing up against the angry dissenters of the world to say, "No, we're doing this because we know it's right, and those of you who disagree can take a long walk off a short pier, we don't want your money anyway?"

To say you can't expose children to a same sex relationship implies that it is somehow...other.  That like drugs or violence, the image of two girls holding hands will somehow irreparably hurt our children. Hi. I'm Soup, and I'm here to tell you that it won't.

Frankly, in recent years, it's become more apparent we need equal representation in children's media. Children are dying, at an alarming rate, because we as a society continue to treat them as unnatural and shameful and wrong. And it's cool that a lot of celebreties have been coming out lately because of the teen suicides. A lot of them have, until now, stayed in the closet because they were afraid for their careers, but now have up and flipped the proverbial table because being visable role models to these kids is infinitely more important to them.

And personally? I think it's time for Mattel to come out of the closet. And Cartoon Network, and Disney, and Hasbro, and Nickelodeon and anybody else with a voice and influence in young people's lives. Because the sooner these kids learn that they aren't  sick or damaged or worthy of the kind of treatment they often find themselves getting, the better.

And yeah, a lot of people are going to be really mad. But change was never made because we all stood around and wrung our hands over what those kinds of people were going to think of us for trying to make the world a better place.

Soap box aside, I could go either way! I think it's important to depict single ladies in media and I've always been kind of disappointed when my favorite strong single ladies randomly paired off. Buuuut if a new girl showed up at school and caught Clawdeen's attention, I sure wouldn't mind!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service