Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Mattel: Celebrating those that wear their heart on their sleeves, the Wild Hearts Crew is a sisterhood of girls challenging everyone, everywhere to #DareToBeDifferent. Join the crew this July at @Walmart stores across the US! #WildHeartsCrew

Views: 3428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At the moment I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but dang...those are very similar designs. Two of the dolls hairstyles are very close to Cori's and Jacy's. 

it's worth pointing out that Freshdolls are a TINY company and there's some evidence suggesting their wave 3 dolls were being designed in april 2018 (there's some "coming soon" shots from their collaberator on instagram from then). Tiny companies can't rush things out, it takes about a year to produce a doll line properly. Closer to 18 months for a small company without the contacts and existing factories etc. Big companies however, can RUSH out new stuff within a few months. Mattel is likely pulling exactly what they did with Barbie and the Rockers to counter Jem. Someone got wind of the new Fresh Squad and they decided to make their competition look bad by rushing out a store exclusive using reused molds and by the sounds of it, rather hasty slapdash QC to beat them to shelves. So when the Freshdolls DO hit stores, all the consumers will go "but those look just like Mattel's dolls, what copycats!" when really Mattel were the ones copying.

this is standard industry practice and something Mattel has done for decades and freely admitted to. Heck, they still think the Jem/Barbie and the Rockers thing is HILARIOUS and are so proud of themselves about it in interviews. They did exactly the same with those. Reused molds to save time and went straight in to get it out ASAP and beat Hasbro to the market.

But they aren't the only company to pull such stunts. It's what the big guys have been doing since early days. Spying on one another and them pre-empting them.

when Wild Hearts dropped many doll collectors who've been collecting for decades said "huh, wonder what's due out that's got Mattel nervous." because they FELT like a "hurry, gotta rush this to shelves!" preemptive strike. We've seen it so many times we've started to notice the pattern.

Now we know what it was. It wasn't anything MGA was cooking up like everyone assumed, no, apparently they view Fresh Dolls as valid competition which is actually quite interesting when you think about it.

A teensy tiny little company run by one woman and her small team is apparently actually intimidating enough to try to sabotage.

I think that's actually very interesting. Go Fresh dolls! Make Mattel SCARED.

I look forward to seeing these products that got Mattel so unnerved.

I was skeptical but when you think about it it’s probably true 

Ooh, that makes much more sense. And I absolutely love the idea that Mattel is intimidated by Fresh Dolls, because competition makes Mattel work harder and do better, but also it means Fresh Dolls has been proven as a legitimate success. A positive, new addition to the doll market is doing well and it's not from one of the big players? I have to applaud that. 

It's interesting isn't it? I suspect there's more to it than just "We don't like new dolls competing with barbie"

I can't think of a case where Mattel's put so much effort into toppling such a small company so hmmm.

It's super wierd.

Either they've become more scummy than usual (and the bar was already pretty low for mattel) or there's more at play here than just Fresh Dolls being a threat.

Still, I look forward to seeing the new Fresh Squad. Sadly they're really expensive to import to the UK. I have two that happened to turn up in a clearance store here but otherwise we just don't get them here and it's a massive pity as I kinda wanted a few of the boys. but with import they were gonna end up like £30 each and it hurt too bad.

I wish a UK company would get them in. Bah.

I have a fresh girl doll! the one with the microbraids.

I had bought a WHC doll but I returned her and the fashion I bought, I need to save money and shelf space and my family has been getting on my case that I need to scale my doll buying back. Although they are cute there are just other dolls I want to focus more on now. Im gonna try to stick to Disney and Barbie. Im kinda glad Im not into Hairdorables, Candylocks & LOL dolls and those super-expensive rainbow slime dolls whose name escapes me right now, that seem to be the current hot trend in dolls now.

reading this about Mattel's WHC  being a Fresh rip-off kind makes me feel better about having to return the doll, lol.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service