Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Views: 2121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, a bit of Shibajuku, it's true. Luckily, they are small so I could eventually get one if I like them in person. I still would pick the pink haired girl because I would buy only one. I have too many dolls, one is more than enough!

Separate wigs would be great. I am still obsessed with wigs (Moxie's curse!).

hhaha looks like they come with a mini green screen and a stand that clips into a hole in their neck (how very Matrix lol)

Hello,

Thank you for the news, C, but....

EESH!  : O   : (

I really, really hate to say this, but I might have preferred the smaller bodies, because at least then, the dolls would've had a deliberately weird look to them (I know, I know....I'm going back on what I said before, but the promo heads were kind of cute!), but now....there's just something that's totally....off about them! It's freaky!  : O  It's more than likely just the eyes, but those heads still seem to be too big.

I have first dibs on the fake "Haunted SNAPSTAR Doll" videos online, because they are gonna be a thing! LOL!

<Disappears into a shadow>

Goodbye,

The Whispering Wolf / Wolfie

it's because the ratio is off. When you do a big headed doll there's a certain ratio you have to use for it to look stylised rather than just weird. These aren't quite right. The head is too narrow and the body a little too short, resulting in a weird bad hybrid look rather than a stylised big head like say, Bratz or Monster High or even Pullip with her MASSIVE head.

You'll notice most often big headed dolls have quite fat round heads, there's a reason for that, it looks better. Long narrow heads just look strange on a small spindly body.

Oh so there more then four. Blur haired girl looks inyetesting.
wow a blue haired girl, joint looks a little gappy hopefully it's just one and not all, not sure about the yellow dress.

Hello,

Disclaimer: Some of you will disagree strongly with me, but this is my own personal opinion, and it is not a critique, or a criticism of your personal opinions, so please keep that in mind.  :)

I don't know how the rest of you feel about the....psychology of this doll line, but I am frightened by it.

Right now, there are parents who are looking forward to getting these dolls, which they believe to be "perfect" for their Snapchat-obsessed kids. Sounds harmless, right?

Well, something about the attitude of the entire line doesn't sit right with me. In fact, a few aspects of this new line scare me:

* The Dolls' Hand Poses: There are no crazy, personality-infused poses (not even a "Peace" sign), just two hands that are so streamlined that they seem to make each doll into a lifeless puppet for its owner, a blank slate that is devoid of even the personality that a child could infuse a doll with. Maybe it's a matter of, "See how you've spoiled me, Monster High?" (LOL!), but it's still disturbing to me, even though the dolls' hands are somewhat elegant-looking. Overall, they just keep making me think about the most vapid, personality-less women in the world.   :(   I think that it's okay to make a conscious decision to be like that, as long as, deep within, you know that you still have your own brain and personality, but some kids won't understand that, and these soulless, blank plastic canvases will inspire them to give themselves away, in favor of becoming living Snapchat "dummies" who pose, pose, and pose lifelessly, like social media's dead, vapid marionettes. If I ever get one of these dolls, there's gonna be an online image of her....with a string attached to each of her wrists.   :(

Of course, each doll's hands have an added purpose that is totally trendy and totally unsettling: they can hold the doll-sized cell phone that arrives with every one of the Snapstars dolls, thereby positioning a child's Snapstar doll as a slave to the social scene within her miniature replication of her owner's world, when she is already a slave to the poses that her owner places her body into within the real world. 

* The Dolls' Soulless Facial Expressions / Oversized Heads: As much as Lola's hair and almost Retro 1980s outfit colors appeal to me, all of the dolls' oversized heads and bland-as-white-paper, soulless facial expressions are both uncanny and vapid; the box illustrations of the Snapstars characters suggest that these are slightly individualistic, if stereotypical girls, but the dolls are what real children will be playing with, and the dolls have none of the personality of their animated counterparts. Their plastic faces are set for all occasions, but they're also all interchangeable, and devoid of life, and they are blatant recreations of the same fame-hungry facial expressions that proliferate on Snapchat; the focus is squarely placed upon makeup and social fame, and personality and quirkiness are swiftly flatlined into oblivion.

* The Overall Concept: These dolls are not only a soon-to-fade-with-age reflection of a fad that will fade with time, but they are a harmful reflection of a harmful fad!  Now, I may not be the most Liberally-leaning individual in the world, but I disagree with phasing the concept of individualism out of toys altogether!

What do the kids of today's modern world get when they buy the Snapstars dolls? In a nutshell, they receive the means by which to glorify and play out a social trend that turns people into "marketable fast food items" for cell phone consumers to "devour" within the social media circle.

Arriving with green screens and cool, posable star stands, the dolls had so much potential to inspire creativity, but they are being marketed as glorified cell phone accessories, because everything about them, but especially their cell-phone-style boxes, is meant to serve one purpose, that of creating a junior photo marketer on the social media scene, a junior marketer who manipulates and poses any one of several dolls to perfection, and who then adds an additional layer of fakeness, via the Photoshop-type area of the Snapstars app. By engaging with the Snapstar "scene", said child can create, and, by extension, be inspired to copy, through their own future behavior, the fake beauty aesthetics that flourish on sites like Snapchat, etc.

The idea behind these dolls is disturbing and disheartening on so many levels! For starters, the concept of dolls that encourage self-idoletry and fame-hunger (Need you look any further than the name "Snapstars" to see how this is true? These dolls don't simply steer children toward taking fun-filled selfies; these amalgamations of plastic perfection are constantly reminding kids that they must become cyber stars, online celebrities, and known social commodities!) encourages children to foolishly worship an industry that harbors hidden dangers and turncoats. The Snapstar characters have perfect, safe, friendly personalities that never hint at the back-stabbing nature of some of the actual people who comment on the selfies that other people are so proud of in real life. I cannot say for certain right now, but I am doubting that any internet safety tips are included within any of the dolls' boxes, either.

I am also worried about the way by which this doll line encourages a lack of individuality and agency within kids. I know, I know, we have the cutesy stereotypes (The Unicorn, The Boho Girl, The DJ, etc.) that differ from each other, and I know that you can swap the wigs and the clothing between the dolls, but stereotypes are still stereotypes (Why does the Asian girl always have to be the tech girl? I know that not every Asian girl aspires to be a DJ or a computer technician! Mattel tended to perpetuate that stereotype, too, and they also always made the African-American girl a fashionista, instead of the brainiac, or anything else!), and, within this line, the set stereotypes are well-established, and grounded within the popularity of the most current online stereotypes that exist.

The idea of agency is drowned out within the Snapstars line, because the entire Snapstar "scene" encourages kids to follow a strict, somewhat sadistic "script" that was created by popular decree:

1.) Instead of just going outside and posing your doll in front of a tree, and having fun out in nature, you're going to pose the doll in front of a "green screen," and you're then going to doctor the picture by inserting an idealistic nature scene, so that your doll looks like a person, so that your doll is emulating the fake adventure that you yourself would be emulating if you PhotoShopped yourself into that same setting.  

2.) Instead of either applying your older sister's makeup to the doll, or just appreciating the doll's face as it is, you're going to log onto the app, upload an image of your doll, and fake a new look for her face, so that she, and, by extension, you, can impress strangers by not even being falsely "beautiful" with real makeup alone!

The entire Snapstars concept is all very concerned with the ideas of "studio technology," "superstar perfection," and "social scripts", never encouraging the idea that a kid doesn't necessarily need to get involved with all of this gobbledy goop in order to have fun taking pictures of their dolls!

When it comes to preparing kids for the future, the Snapstars slide children "right out of the frying pan, and into the fire," because they set the younger set up for a serious obsession with social acceptance, unrealistic beauty expectations, and phone communication; all three of these obsessions can have serious consequences for teens and 20-somethings who have been raised to believe that said obsessions are all that are important in life.

I'm not saying that today's typical 8-year-old girl, who just received a phone for The Holidays will turn into a vapid #Kardashianklone, but I am saying that the concept behind the Snapstars will encourage her to think and behave according to certain, set, trendy social "rules".

The final concern that I have, with regard to these dolls, revolves around the fact that they encourage a physical separation between real kids. Sure, a group of kids can all go to a sleepover at little Harper's house, and they can all bring their Snapstar dolls and their phones along for an hilarious, fun-filled time.

I am more convinced, though, that these dolls will encourage a kid to feel validated because they gave the "gift" of a doll photo to a friend while they were walking through the drug store with their mother. Why go over to Harper's house and "play dolls," when it's so much more grown up, and so much easier, to just send Harper a photo of your ultra-perfect, on-fleek Snapstar doll while you're finalizing the "Photoshopped" details in the middle of that drug store visit? Heck! You don't even have to pester your mother to find the time to drive you over to Harper's house, and you don't have to check with Harper's parents to make sure that the visit is okay with them! So many issues solved, with a secretly harmful drawback: the lack of true, non-schooltime socialization between friends.   :(

In an era during which so much of our communication takes place in a non-face-to-face way, these dolls encourage isolation, shallow competitiveness (Ie: "My Snapstar pic looks way better than yours, u major loser! Do u even know how to use the app correctly? Look at all the 'Likes' that my pic got compared to yours!"), and extreme pickiness (Ie: The desire to make one's doll look as impossibly perfect as the online pics that they've seen).

Overall, I am absolutely not looking forward to this doll line, or to its results within the real world.

Goodbye,

Hello,

OOPS! I meant to say "Snapstar dolls" instead of "Snapstars dolls". Sorry.

Goodbye,

you aren't alone, a lot of doll collectors on tumblr aren't impressed by this and describe it as vapid and "by the numbers". "what's popular?" "oh this instragram thing is big with kids" "right, we'll make that our gimmick"

While I don't feel like the encouraging kids to photograph their dolls is a bad thing, after all that IS a big thing for kids these days in how they play with their dolls, i'm not totally convinced the whole "influencer" thing was the right direction.

It's pretty shallow and 1 note.

thing is, isn't the instagram thing ALSO the theme of hairdorables? only they all have actual things the blog about. "my spirit animal is a unicorn" tells you a lot I think about how vapid this line is.

I kinda want to stick a hairdorable head on that body though... looks like the proportions would work nicely.

On top of all that the dolls are hideous (sorry to people who like them) 

LOL I don't find them hideous but I know where you are coming from! I like some of them.

I would like to see them in real life. I am hoping for wigs sold separately so badly that I can't be bothered about the dolls anymore!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service