Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Hey all! I was just on Mattel.com (trying to get an invisibilly -__-) anyway! I did look at New Scaremester Twyla and I noticed in the description it says "Twyla, Daughter of the Boogey Man, is looking fashionably fierce in her core school outfit." Which made me think of something I was just talking about with a friend, in all the new Webisodes Catrine, Clawdeen and Jinafire all wear their New Scaremester outfits pretty much all the time now. With the rest of the ghouls staying in their same first appearence outfits. Twyla who just got a new scaremester doll is even in that outfit in the past few webisodes. I try to collect all the basics because thats usually how you see them in the webisodes , merch, movies etc. So now I;'m wondering if New Scaremester is gonna be a thing every season and bring us new permanent looks for the ghouls.. Like will we be seeing a new scaremester Frankie, Cleo , Lagoona etc? anyone have any thoughts on this?

Views: 448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm thinking it is a replacement for basics. School's out was also considered basics. i'm guessing there will be more new scaremester every 6 months.

I was thinking that but considering these characters were all parts of movie lines even though I did think it would be their signature looks and I didn't expect them to change it in the webisodes does this mean that the first releases are not the signature dolls?

I wouldn't be surprised.  It's just like changing a cartoon character's outfit after a few seasons.  Just a new touch up.  Some are even cuter than their basics.

I've been wondering about this as well.

I'm not sure that they would give all of the ghouls a new basic look. I'm thinking that the New Scaremester line was a chance to give some of the new characters a more normal "going to school" look. Catty especially wouldn't have made sense going to school in the dress that she is seen performing in. It also makes sense for Gigi to move away from the traditional genie look. I think that Jinafire and Skelita were probably dressed to impress in Scaris, just like Clawdeen was, so it makes sense that they would have different clothes to wear at school. I know Skelita isn't part of the New Scaremester line, but she is seen wearing her Art Class outfit around school instead of her Scaris attire. Since the other Scaris girls got a new wardrobe, it makes sense that Catrine would too. Clawdeen seems to be included in this line because she is in charge of making arrangements for the new ghouls, according to the back of her box. Maybe she wanted to dress up for the job. Although she is appearing in webisodes with this new look, I don't think it will be a permanent look for her.

I'm surprised that Twyla would receive a new outfit though. I thought her original 13 Wishes outfit would make sense as her normal look. As for the inclusion of Invisibilly, I think that this was a good time to introduce him in doll form for the first time. He is the only one in the line to come with an actual diary.

Those are just my thoughts on the subject though. I, of course, could be totally wrong. I'm curious to read some other theories on this line.

i doubt new scaremester will continue after wave 2.
we've got basics, then school's out, then 2 waves of picture day, then 2 waves of scaremester - these are all core dolls for Mattel. I'm pretty sure something new was trademarked that sounded like the substitute for new scaremester.
it would be pointless to keep this line going, Mattel changed the basic format too. They need to stay fresh on the shelves. New boxes, new themes. I'm pretty sure Clawdeen was included in NS because she did not have a picture day doll, and now all the dolls have their PD clothes as everyday outfit except Clawdeen (who in 13 wishes wore her school out because she did not have PD)

the next wave of new characters will probably be movie themed and Mattel doesn't really care about ALL the students getting a second look (that isn't a budget)
i'm already bored with new scaremester i'd like to see something new already (plus if new scaremester means i'll have the same situation with not having billy in the italian assortment... no thanks)

The Core assortment has never discontinued, it's just now rethemed, and they "upgrade" looks - bu these are often only used occassionally in the webisodes. I think most characters looks will be often be connected to their "1st appearance." Picture Day was the first time the line received a theme name, and went on for 2 seasons, New Scaremester replaced that, and has gone on for 2 seasons. I  assume we'll get another theme for the next 2 seasons.

Monster exchange was trademarked i think it will be the new scaremester continuation. Maybe to introduce the characters from around the world

They are fashion dolls after all and the original looks are from so many seasons ago, a lifetime in fashion terms. It also makes sense for Clawdeenand Jinafire  to be leading the change in fashion for the rest of the ghouls.

On a similar subject: does anyone know if the original favorites series will be continued to include Lagoona, Cleo and Ghoulia?

It would be great to have all the originals in their first looks.

there's only speculation about a "original ghoulfriends" trademark but i really hope it doesn't happen.
rare dolls should remain rare for the sake of who owns them.

also i don't get how you say that their basic outfits are dated fashion-wise, but you wish you own them. Shouldn't you be happy with the newer versions of them?
(and i speak with a bit of a snarky tone because i'm the one who wishes dolls only had basic outfits, they're cartoon characters and having one and only outfit it's what makes them most recognizable. Look at Donald Duck, or the Scooby Gang or whatever other superhero. Clothes makes the man. I get that they are fashion doll and they need to sell different lines, but imho the 2010 outfits are still very modern. You still see girls with mini skirts and high socks as clawdeen. For me there would be no need to come up with the 2.0 outfits)

Bite Me said:

They are fashion dolls after all and the original looks are from so many seasons ago, a lifetime in fashion terms. It also makes sense for Clawdeenand Jinafire  to be leading the change in fashion for the rest of the ghouls.

On a similar subject: does anyone know if the original favorites series will be continued to include Lagoona, Cleo and Ghoulia?

At the risk of offending you and starting a heated debate. I feel you've got it all backwards. The Monster High ghouls  are only cartoons because Mattel created the webisodes as a marketing tool. The 3D television specials are just 40 minute doll commercials. Donalad Duck and Scooby Do were animated for the sake of animation as entertainment, not to sell toys, They weren't marketed as toys until much later.

The original favorites dolls didn't diminish the collectible value of the first wave basics so I don't understand you wanting to deny others the opportunity to own a basic outfit doll variation in different packaging from your collectible rare version doll. Forgive my snarkiness too please but it sounds a bit selfish to me. 

I stand by what I said about the fashions being dated as well. Ruffly minis and knee socks like basic Clawdeen's are so 2009. I'm just lucky to live in a big city where trends change much faster. And no, I wouldn't want any of those outfits. I'm a 50 year old man and If I get in drag ever again  it has to be fierce!

Fashion dolls should be concerned with staying updated on today's current trends, no? Isn't that the whole point? I think your logic is also very selfish you're saying that not only do you not want any reproduction of the dolls many people are wishing for to be made , but on top of that you don't want any other versions of the characters to be made as well? I'm sorry but that seems very selfish to ME, personally.

calebtobey said:

there's only speculation about a "original ghoulfriends" trademark but i really hope it doesn't happen.

also i don't get how you say that their basic outfits are dated fashion-wise, but you wish you own them. Shouldn't you be happy with the newer versions of them?
(and i speak with a bit of a snarky tone because i'm the one who wishes dolls only had basic outfits, they're cartoon characters and having one and only outfit it's what makes them most recognizable. Look at Donald Duck, or the Scooby Gang or whatever other superhero. Clothes makes the man. I get that they are fashion doll and they need to sell different lines, but imho the 2010 outfits are still very modern. You still see girls with mini skirts and high socks as clawdeen. For me there would be no need to come up with the 2.0 outfits)

Bite Me said:

they can keep doing all the themed lines they want. Go on with a sports line, a fashion gala line, a fishing line, whatever. But i would totally disconnect to the brand if they changed the basic looks of the dolls midway run. That's what made me fall in love with them at first place, if they change them for good, i'm out. it's just my personal opinion. I'm ok with the scaremester clothes popping up in 1 or 2 webisodes, but i'm also glad that they use the basic outfits in the majority of scenes. they're iconic. Iconic stuff is always up to date, even fashion wise.

I'm also sorry that my personal opinion might sound selfish, but i think we're all entitled to our own. The original re-release created only confusion in the collecting world for me, because 1) they made the value of the 2009 releases decrease and 2) they gave people the option of selling one item for another - so when you buy a basic unboxed frankie and you're looking for the original with elastic hips and you get the jointed one you're obviously going to be disappointed.

i didn't find the original on the shelves, i've had to dig my way into getting basic ghoulia, lagoona, holt, gil, whatever doll. and i did not care about the re-releases because they had different head sculpts, i was looking for the original deal. so i had to look for the 2009 dolls. and i did this in 18 months. That's what i mean by "collecting", if it's easy to do it just isn't fun FOR ME. you get all the basic again on the shelves and then what? where's the collecting process? the hunting fun? plus we all know that Mattel sells PLASTIC STUFF for money - and they release enough of them already. They don't sell dreams for children or collectors. They're making enough money with all the new lines coming out, if you worked for them this might seem the reasonable thing to do, but as a collector i can see that you might want the basics out again. I just wouldn't like them, that's all. I cherish enough my boxed lagoona and ghoulia and they're valuable to me, to see them up again on the shelves it would make me think that they're worth less. Sorry, but it's my honest opinion.

Don't hate. I wish for all of you to get what you want in your collection, one way or another, and i'm also honest by saying this.

jools34 said:

Fashion dolls should be concerned with staying updated on today's current trends, no? Isn't that the whole point? I think your logic is also very selfish you're saying that not only do you not want any reproduction of the dolls many people are wishing for to be made , but on top of that you don't want any other versions of the characters to be made as well? I'm sorry but that seems very selfish to ME, personally.

calebtobey said:

Bite Me said:

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service