Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

found here -> http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/MAT/3585439363x0x789862/afea...

what do you all think? any idea as to who she is?

Views: 3247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Completely agree, haha!

Back in the 90's they also scaled up 6" action figures from X-Men (and I'm sure alot of other brands aswell) to 12" and they looked terrible.

Kind of a weird aside to that; most of the Toy Biz X-Men figures were actually sculpted at the larger size and then scaled DOWN for production, so the 10" guys were actually a scaling up of a scaled down model.

It's mostly done differently these days, but some companies still sculpt "two-ups" as they're called and then scale that sculpt down for the final production figures. 

Mighoula Scaremeyer said:

Completely agree, haha!

Back in the 90's they also scaled up 6" action figures from X-Men (and I'm sure alot of other brands aswell) to 12" and they looked terrible.

Oh really? I had no idea! (I forgot they were 10" instead of 12")

Funny that I find they do look better in the smaller size. It does make sense though, on such a small figure it is quite hard to sculpt in the details and all.

I know with Galoob's baby Face dolls they were also made and sculpted bigger, and then during the process of making them they shrunk down a couple of inches. So some fortunate collectors who own a prototype have them towering a bit above the manufactured dolls :D

Draconia St George said:

Kind of a weird aside to that; most of the Toy Biz X-Men figures were actually sculpted at the larger size and then scaled DOWN for production, so the 10" guys were actually a scaling up of a scaled down model.

It's mostly done differently these days, but some companies still sculpt "two-ups" as they're called and then scale that sculpt down for the final production figures. 

Mighoula Scaremeyer said:

Completely agree, haha!

The size difference with the Galoob dolls sounds more like a plastic shrinkage ratio issue than actual downscaling.  When you sculpt a toy that is going to be cast in plastic, you have to calculate the ratio of shrinkage, because the plastic shrinks when it cools in the mold.  The percent of shrinkage depends on the plastic type, temperature and the thickness of the plastic, so if you don't account for it, you can end up with some very different looking toys when compared to the prototypes. 

Looks like a custom of sorts to me, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.  It looks pretty neat.  Absolutely love her dress.

The new girl (Astranova?) looks very pretty, as does the "Elle Edee". I hope Boo York is like one of those 60's sort of sci-fi metropolitan cities, with robots and aliens and the like. The big dolls look interesting, I wonder what they will end up being like.

On another note, did anyone see the new Barbies in that powerpoint?

so much diversity! Looks like Mattel is stepping up their game! I'm excited!

Not only are they extremely diverse but they're incredibly well sculpted!

Which, of course, means they'll probably be super expensive, but you know.  Still great work on Mattel's part.

MonsterGirl♥ said:

The new girl (Astranova?) looks very pretty, as does the "Elle Edee". I hope Boo York is like one of those 60's sort of sci-fi metropolitan cities, with robots and aliens and the like. The big dolls look interesting, I wonder what they will end up being like.

I know, they're all so beautiful. I hope they aren't too much money though!!!

Tara said:

Not only are they extremely diverse but they're incredibly well sculpted!

Which, of course, means they'll probably be super expensive, but you know.  Still great work on Mattel's part.

MonsterGirl♥ said:

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service