Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

So MGA are once again trying to capture some of Monster High success with a new line of dolls, but rather than just blatantly rip off Monster High, they've decided to do something a bit original.. A line of cute alien dolls.

http://dolldiaries.com/mgas-new-novi-stars-dolls-are-out-of-this-wo...

Well, I say cute, but frankly I think those designs are hideous! Even now I can feel those soulless eyes staring out at me in the darkness... if this is just the artwork, I dread to think what the actual dolls are like.

Views: 4238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like everyone else I think they're kind of cute but I"m not sure how they'll translate. I like Una the best, but I forsee there being problems with that in the future lol. Water tends to discolor over time. I like the scented one too. The other 2 are kinda meh though. I might get them if I don't have anything else to buy lol Which probably won't be the case after seeing what Mattel has in store for us.

I like these quite a bit but will have to see the real life versions to be absolutely sure.  I do love the concept and hope they look like the graphics.   It's interesting that people think MGA copies Mattel.  It's not well known, but Mattel copied the Monster High dolls from Joel Adams' Lil Creature dolls. You can see his dolls at this link:

http://lilcreaturesofthenight.com/characters/

I saw these in my Justice magzine.

those look a bit slutty 0.o

Michelle said:

I like these quite a bit but will have to see the real life versions to be absolutely sure.  I do love the concept and hope they look like the graphics.   It's interesting that people think MGA copies Mattel.  It's not well known, but Mattel copied the Monster High dolls from Joel Adams' Lil Creature dolls. You can see his dolls at this link:

its the artwork. i saw them to.
THATONEKID said:

Like the dolls? Or the artwork?

Wolfies R Awesome! said:

I saw these in my Justice magzine.It

Sorry, don't believe this. Number one, Joel Adams has no dolls made of these characters. Number two, Mattel was developing Monster High at around the same time as he was developing his "Lilz" and possibly before. Garrett Sander has been with Mattel since 2004, four years before Joel Adams says he started drawing his characters. Also, Mattel doesn't have time to be stalking indie comic publishers so they can steal ideas. They have their own creative department.

"In 2008 Joel began discussions with then “Bloodfire Studios” about a web comic with a storyline he had begun writing, but changing companies, a death in the family and a knock off of the Lil Creatures by a major toy manufacturer in 2010, created a delay in this project."

Monster High is not a knock-off. Joel Adams sounds pretty egotistical, especially if you read his entire artist statement in which he refers to himself as a "mad genius" even though he didn't spell check his own writing. Of course he believes Monster High ripped him off. He's a frustrated comic artist who isn't content with working on other people's projects. Then he comes up with his Lil Creatures idea (which, in all truth isn't that original - making new versions of classic monsters has been done plenty of times before) and then it turns out Mattel does it better and more effectively, which makes him mad.
Monster High uses a completely different style and based on this style alone, is meant for a different audience than Joel Adams appeals to. Little girls wouldn't be interested in muscular, sexed up monsters that look like female wrestlers.

Michelle said:

I meant to say Lil Creatures art, not dolls. My mistake with words on that one, sorry.  Joel was creating the Lil's ART before MH dolls, read up better on his dates. Look at the names of his creations, some nearly exact copies of the MH names. Of course Mattel would not create dolls that looked as sexy/slutty as Joel's creations. It's pretty clear to many people that Joel was ripped off.  You don't have to believe it.

Actually, I agree with Amanda - It's hard to make a rip-off of an idea that wasn't original in the first place. Scooby-Doo had a movie decades ago with the exact same premise; a school for monsters featuring the daughters of famous movie monsters. If anyone's getting "ripped off," it's Scooby-Doo. Then again, that probably wasn't even the first time the kids-of-famous-monsters idea was used.

Also, the characters, IMO, don't look anything alike. As for the names, "Frankie" is an obvious name derived from Frankenstein and "Lagoona" is an obvious throwback to the Creature from the Black Lagoon, so I'm not at all surprised that these names have been reused.

And yeah, I read Joel's self-authored bio; he sounds pretty full of it. He's trying to pull the "I made it BEFORE it was popular" card. Just because you want to believe he was ripped off doesn't mean Mattel has ever even seen his work.

I had a story line way before Avatar that was like Pocahontas with aliens. Doesn't mean James Cameron ripped me off.

Michelle said:

I meant to say Lil Creatures art, not dolls. My mistake with words on that one, sorry.  Joel was creating the Lil's ART before MH dolls, read up better on his dates. Look at the names of his creations, some nearly exact copies of the MH names. Of course Mattel would not create dolls that looked as sexy/slutty as Joel's creations. It's pretty clear to many people that Joel was ripped off.  You don't have to believe it.

I don't have to believe it and I don't. His resume isn't impressive enough for Mattel to even know who he is, let alone steal his ideas. He's had work featured in a couple small magazines, was a comic book colorist, and designed some characters for King of the Hill. Big whoop. I know 23 year old kids who are designing characters for Archer right now and nobody in the industry knows who they are either. He was also working out a deal for publication with a tiny, indie comic book publisher. He might as well have been self-publishing. And like I said, Mattel has their own development teams. They don't need to scour the internet looking for ideas they can steal. It takes YEARS to do all of the market research, design, budgeting, and actual construction of a new doll line. Sure, Monster High came out in 2010, but it was a work in progress years before then. If he wants to play the "I came up with it first" game, then who's to say Garret Sander didn't have the idea for Monster High floating around in his head decades ago? Look at Nightmare Before Christmas. Tim Burton started developing Nightmare while he worked at Disney in the early 80's and Nightmare wasn't made until 1993. Bottom line - there's too much evidence against the idea to claim he was ripped off. I think he's saying that because he's frustrated that a similar idea (even though it's done in a completely different style, is aimed at a different audience, and has a different premise) became popular before his comic took off which is making it harder for him to publish it.

Fokkusu said:

Just because you want to believe he was ripped off doesn't mean Mattel has ever even seen his work.

Michelle said:

Good for you and your beliefs, I can tell that you feel strongly about them.

lol, this is like an argument about religion - no one is going to change their minds. XD

I can't say 100% if they copied or not, but I do believe that it's possible. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I can respect that.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service