Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

So it seems Mattel have found themselves in a bit of legal trouble, as Mezco Toys is sueing them, claiming that Monster High is stealing an idea of theirs. http://www.law360.com/ip/articles/368979/mattel-hit-with-trademark-...

Who are Mezco Toys, you ask? Well they're the creator of Living Dead Dolls. You know, those creepy as hell baby dolls which seem to clutter up every Hot Topic and goth-style clothing store? Well it seems Living Dead Dolls has it's own subline of dolls based on fairy tales http://www.mezcotoyz.com/ldd-scary-tales-series-4 and they are accusing Mattel of stealing the idea for Monster High.

Seriously Mezco? The last time I checked, the concept of creepy, horror based versions of popular fairy tales isn't exactly an original idea. Several books, comics, cartoons and toys had been doing it long before your dolls were around. The lawsuit just sounds like an obvious desperate grab at Monster High's great success.

Views: 3326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually ldds had living dead dolls fashion victims before bleeding edge existed. Also Mezco is suing them for the Scary Tales name not the dolls themselves.

If thats the case then the creators of original fairy tales should sue everyone since they do the same story just a tiny bit of changes here and there... this is so stupid. LDD are ugly as hell anyways i hope the lose big time... like an epic fail type of loss... Only reason i got  MH is cause they are cute monsters i dont have to be afraid of.

OMG, they are nuttin' like those freaky dolls.  I hate those dolls because they make nightmares about moving dolls so true!  This is just going to make Scary Tales dolls of MH more famous and sell!  And that Scary Tales are only sold in Target so I don't get their problem.  I think they just want issues because these dolls were announced a while ago!

And the name Scary Tales has been used in comics a lot!  I read comics and see it all the time!  They just want free publicity!

If they are suing Mattel for a fan name and shelf tag name they're going to lose. The trademarked name is Scarily Ever after. Shelf tags have changed names others times before. Wal-Mart called the Ula D and Clawd pack "Draculaura&Dude" so Scarily Ever After could easily be changed to Scary Tales for space reasons. Suing for a fan name or shelf tag name is idiotic. 

doggiepants said:

Actually ldds had living dead dolls fashion victims before bleeding edge existed. Also Mezco is suing them for the Scary Tales name not the dolls themselves.

First off, those dolls are creepy and second, what about the saying "great minds think alike"?

I didn't even know LDD existed anymore. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a physical one in a store like Hot Topic (didn't Spencer's go out of business?). Besides I think LDD are ridiculously priced and not geared towards the same market at all. A big reason I collect MH and not LDD or BeGoths is due to the price difference.

I actually might have to say that MH is easier to find than LDD are. Ridiculous I know, but MH is sold in a multitude of stores and I don't believe LDD are sold in many brick and mortar facilities. I could be wrong though.

Kay, couple of key differences:

Mezcos Target Audiance and Mattel's aren't the same. Mezco tends to go after older adult collectors and Mattel- while it recognizes the adult market- is focused on young girls 7-13.

MGA- the creator of the two lines being accused of ripping of MH- is also marketed to this age group.

Mezcos dolls are deemed "collectable dolls" while Mattel's MH line are "articulated fashion dolls". Again MGA also falls under the "fashion doll" category.

There's also the matter of HOW the dolls are marketed and presented to their audience but I can go on forever about this so I'm not going to go into great detail.

Making fairy tales creepy isn't a new thing. Having a paranormal fashion doll outside of a holiday exclusive line (Halloween) marketed to young girl tweens who do not exclusively categorize themselves as "alternative" is.

The two cases aren't comparable provided you actually take the time to think about it and don't just go "SOMEONE ELSE DID THE SAME IDEA THIS MEANS RIP OFF!!"

Terry said:

Everyone was accusing every other toy company in the universe for ripping off Monster High but now Monster High is ripping someone else off its all OK - make up your minds

Omg. Mezco is being a b...h hello! Monster high is way better than living dead dolls. Those dolls are creepy as hell and I bet idiots buy that doll. Oh wait, they r smart enough to not buy them. Those Mezco people are whack.

I'm going to agree with Justin. I own some LDDs and they are amazing. I've never had one break, or rip, or their hair come messed up, if simply because their audience is towards the kind of people who care more about that kind of thing. I'd even go as far as saying that Monster High may have taken a few pointers from LDD to begin with, though not enough to matter.

The main point of this lawsuit, I think, is to cause a stir. Mezco and Mattel haven't been in enough controversy recently, so a lawsuit was brought up. I'm sure Mezco can see how silly the argument seems, considering how differently the dolls are marketed and the age groups they're meant for. I want to read the full document before I actually make a judgement, but altogether, I think neither of them are at fault here and it's just to bring attention to the lines. While I'm doing things though:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb451/milksake1/IMG_20120814_22...

Oh my goodness look at Orchid's curls compared to Cupid.  Except that one that got messed up but that wasn't their fault, there was an accident. 

The difference between the MH fandom and the Mezco fandom is the audience.

People who but Living Dead Dolls tend to buy hundreds. They sell for 100$ each and are worth the money; They very rarely have flaws, despite being mass produced and popular. They're not 'scalped' as much as raised in value, usually after the specific set is discontinued, and has continued with a lot of popularity for 13 years. There are less facemolds, but the molds are used well and most characters has something unique, such as The Vanishing Hitchhiker's hitchhiker's thumb, or Orchid (a hemophobic vampire) having veins underneath her clothing to show the stress of not being able to eat. Each series has a specific theme and is catered to that theme, including some series having pets, special wings, and other accessories. Their hair is good quality and always styled with little to no gel, and the boxes are good for displays without having to be taken apart. They're steamlined, including a chipboard poem and death certificate, but there's no flaws in them and they aren't flashy. The dolls are paced enough apart to be able to get all of them if you're watching as well. They stay true to the stories they're based on, in the few lines based on stories, because there are no restrictions.

Monster High is bought one or two at a time, and people with 70+ are looked at highly in the fandom, though the average is 30-40 because of the age they're aimed at. Because they're aimed at children, they also have less problem squishing up hair or having a few minor flaws, but the minor flaws extent to several hundred dolls. The quality has been lowered as the dolls became more popular, excluding stands from the current multipacks and cheaper lines. Though they have used a new sculpt for many characters, the designs tend to be fairly simple on the skin, because more complicated designs make it easier to mess up. They have stories, but some of the stories have flaws and it's hard to tell which to take most seriously, and there tend to be typos or flaws in the journal (notably, Venus's journal lists Rochelle's BFFs instead of hers). The stories tend to be twisted slightly to suit children, not mentioning the Phantom of the Opera being a deranged serial killer or Dr. Frankenstein being a grave thief, for example.

Altogether, each doll is suited for it's audience and you have no right to insult LDDs because you are biased towards a line with an opposite audience.

Plantasia said:

Omg. Mezco is being a b...h hello! Monster high is way better than living dead dolls. Those dolls are creepy as hell and I bet idiots buy that doll. Oh wait, they r smart enough to not buy them. Those Mezco people are whack.
Yay! Good show! I have collected ldd, begoths and monster high dolls. I love spooky dolls and toys and I have a toy/doll collection clocking in around 300+ items. I makes me angry when others put people down for collect or liking something diffren. Thank you dor saying something positive about these diffrent doll, beathag!

Beathag Ford said:

The difference between the MH fandom and the Mezco fandom is the audience.

People who but Living Dead Dolls tend to buy hundreds. They sell for 100$ each and are worth the money; They very rarely have flaws, despite being mass produced and popular. They're not 'scalped' as much as raised in value, usually after the specific set is discontinued, and has continued with a lot of popularity for 13 years. There are less facemolds, but the molds are used well and most characters has something unique, such as The Vanishing Hitchhiker's hitchhiker's thumb, or Orchid (a hemophobic vampire) having veins underneath her clothing to show the stress of not being able to eat. Each series has a specific theme and is catered to that theme, including some series having pets, special wings, and other accessories. Their hair is good quality and always styled with little to no gel, and the boxes are good for displays without having to be taken apart. They're steamlined, including a chipboard poem and death certificate, but there's no flaws in them and they aren't flashy. The dolls are paced enough apart to be able to get all of them if you're watching as well. They stay true to the stories they're based on, in the few lines based on stories, because there are no restrictions.

Monster High is bought one or two at a time, and people with 70+ are looked at highly in the fandom, though the average is 30-40 because of the age they're aimed at. Because they're aimed at children, they also have less problem squishing up hair or having a few minor flaws, but the minor flaws extent to several hundred dolls. The quality has been lowered as the dolls became more popular, excluding stands from the current multipacks and cheaper lines. Though they have used a new sculpt for many characters, the designs tend to be fairly simple on the skin, because more complicated designs make it easier to mess up. They have stories, but some of the stories have flaws and it's hard to tell which to take most seriously, and there tend to be typos or flaws in the journal (notably, Venus's journal lists Rochelle's BFFs instead of hers). The stories tend to be twisted slightly to suit children, not mentioning the Phantom of the Opera being a deranged serial killer or Dr. Frankenstein being a grave thief, for example.

Altogether, each doll is suited for it's audience and you have no right to insult LDDs because you are biased towards a line with an opposite audience.

Plantasia said:

Obvs you did or you wouldn't have commented.

Terry said:

who cares

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service