Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

As some of you know, I've been buying "irreparable" dolls from inside the community on and off, and have been able to give new limbs and parts to some of my dolls. Mostly I replace legs that are missing.

Right now I'm trying something bigger.

I got some dolls that have had the limbs chewed clean through by pets, or torn off leaving a jagged stump or only the anchor joint.

I've been thinking.

What are the best doll limbs to splice onto these dolls?

I figure can use a rotary saw to clean up the stump, add some Testor's clear plastic cement (that stuff is a miracle, I strongly suggest investing in some for more involved CAMs and Mods) and then attaching a limb from a different brand of doll to the stump, giving the doll a unique appearance and renewed functionality.

Right now I have a quadruple amputee Jackson, and I'm wondering which doll would be best to replace his stumped limbs with. My money is on either a Skipper doll, or a Fashionista Ken.

Suggestions?

Views: 1133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With the stump arm - below the elbow - I would create a hook or wirered prosthetic limb for him. It would create a wonderful opportunity for some back story.

MadBoyCreator said:

Some quick photos for reference. I've already cleaned him up a bit and gotten the worst of the chewed damage fixed. A few more light sandings and he'll be good as new... Well, except the limbs. I'm thinking either fix the knee joints (with some washers and pliers, or take the hot knife tool or a rotary tool saw (the small kind for crafts) and cut the limbs above the ruined joints and attach the limbs from a different doll using plastic to plastic bonding cement. Kind of leaning towards option two just to shake things up.

Idea update for the legs. See that spiky looking scary thing next to Jackson? That's the clicky knee joint from a knockoff barbie doll, the sort that makes a smooth vinyl leg bend. If you'll notice, the knee joint is actually kind of similar to the ones used in MH dolls. I'm thinking bond the two plastics together at the broken joint, and either sculpt over these, or maybe leave one or both of them exposed and paint them a metallic color and attach feet.

I dunno, I just thought it'd be a neat idea, plus, they're kind of eerie.

I'd be inclined to bulk these out a little with epoxy or whatever, to make them a bit more robust and also have them looking even more robotic. Then not have feet at all but keep them as these creepy as all heck spindle legs. I think that'd look awesome.

That's a good idea, kind of makes me think of the hacked together doll from the first Toy Story movie though.

purple_monkfish said:

I'd be inclined to bulk these out a little with epoxy or whatever, to make them a bit more robust and also have them looking even more robotic. Then not have feet at all but keep them as these creepy as all heck spindle legs. I think that'd look awesome.

More progress on my extra monster-y Monsters.

I've got a Howleen in the works, but she needs a new arm built from scratch. I need some metal rods, washers, nuts, bolts, and wire. But I've got it all designed already. And her paint is done, except for a donor arm, but I'm working on that too.

I'm thinking of calling her Lupita von Wolfenstein (pronounced with a "V").

An update on Jackson Jekyll-Stein Jr. too:
Attached new arms, One I just painted, the other I sculpted and affixed to the stump. It's all twisty and clawed. It'll be menacing yet charming. I'm also planning on ordering a set of the new Jackson arms from Mattel, and painting them the same way these are, so that they'll fit better, and Jackson can go between a scary arm and a normal one. May also add more tattoos if I get bored. On the green limbs because that seems like fun.

Need to add a couple more layers of plastic cement to firm up the joint, but here's the first tentative replacement knee.

They are looking good. One thing I have been working on is making a ball joint (for the shoulder) out of fimo/sculpy with a hole to put a twisted wire though (to serve as the peg) then putting a small piece of fish tank tubing over the long part of the wire. a smaller piece of tubing can be put into the bottom part of the 'arm so lower limbs can be attached.

I've got something a little more elaborate in mind for both. Robot. Arms.

I took a stop motion animation class in college, and I'm basing the design off of our mid-grade armatures. Mostly made from bolts, rods, washers, sockets, and wires. I'll post the design sketch eventually. Need to make a hardware store run for some JB Weld and supplies.

Jackson's more or less done. I may go over that leg with some paperclay, paint, and plastic cement to smooth it out, but the joints are in place and he looks about right. if I put him in pants, you'd hardly notice the difference. Also his sculpted arm is all twisty and clawed.

He looks fantastic!

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service