Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

When i was a kid i got 2 dolls over £15 dolls at the most for birthdays and christmas and maybe the random under £5 doll when on holiday.

I see lots of videos on youtube of mainly american tweenagers with the full set even spares to put the outfits on even every vehicle and accessory.you name they've got it.

these dolls arn't cheap,they must be getting a monster high thing every week, or worse every few days, no kid deserves that much praise!!!!.

there parents must be either rich,taking out a loan.....or shoplifting.

Views: 2935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My nieces they use their pocket money, that they save up, birthday and Christmas money too. When you stop to think about it we have basically two big waves of dolls every year. Fall and Spring. So you do have some time between to save up a little. Plus there's bargain shopping. I don't pay retail for my MH dolls hardly ever, and my nieces don't either. We hit sales, we hit Amazon and TRU online for good deals.

A typical kid's allowance in the states is like $15 a week. They get a lot more than the $5 a week I had to argue for when I was their age. Plus they get some money for lost teeth, holidays, and for doing chores that maybe they aren't expected to do. My one niece is old enough now to babysit her sister so that saves her parents some money. She does get some money or the odd doll as payback for that. My nieces they make money other ways too.

One of them is very good with making outfits so she sells them to other kids she knows for their dolls or trades for dolls she doesn't have. She very crafty in other ways so there are other things that she makes that she can swap or sell. I do craft shows myself. I make things to sell. She sometimes comes with me and get her own table. She can pull in a $100 on a good Saturday in Fall selling all her little things that she makes.

Kids these days they are not just reliant on what money their parents give them. Some of them are pretty proactive about making money outside their own home. Some older kids mow lawns, babysit, have a paper route, some sell crafts, lemonade etc, etc. My youngest niece she does some chores for the neighbors who are elderly. She gets their mail for them, takes care of their cats, helps them put groceries away, stuff like that. She and her sister they make way more than I used to as a kid, even when I used to babysit.

It is true that some parents are pretty indulgent too. There are a lot of kids out there being affected by divorce. You have parents giving them more "things" to make up for limited time spent with them. Guilt trips to the toy store. A lot of parents tend to reward good grades and stuff like that too. Back when I was a kid all I got was a $1 and maybe some ice cream out if I got a good report card. My nieces they get a $20. Over the course of a school year that's a good chunk of change if they study and do well.

Yeah, I had to save up as well. I think it's good for kids to make them earn their own cash. I even had to save to pay for gifts for the rest of the family (birthdays and christmas) which I know a lot of people think is "mean" when I tell them but damnit, it really taught me a good lesson about budgeting. You got to near Christmas, you started to save so you could buy other people things rather than spending all the cash on yourself.

I think it just gets a little annoying when so many photos show up on Flickr etc of kids yet again buying up 20 toys in a week because they can. I don't care how rich you are, it seems like a bad lesson in material goods. And if you ask, it's never "i saved up" it's always "mum and dad got them for me" so sadly, most of these kids are just sticking their hand out and getting wads of cash thrown at them.

Now, I didn't grow up poor by any stretch of the imagination. Both my parents worked full time and earned a very healthy income. We had what we wanted but I still didn't get anything i wanted when I wanted it. My parents were careful to make sure i understood that THEY earned the cash and it wasn't infinite. I got bought things sometimes, but mostly I had to use my allowance and it was fine.

I just worry about this material entitled world some children are growing up in. As I mentioned, my step sister is a grown up who was one of these entitled children and honestly? I still don't understand why her father doesn't just let her learn a harsh lesson about money and let her starve for a few weeks. She won't die, she'll just omg, not be able to have a manicure once a week and full body spray tans! OH NOES!

Some kids are getting 20 dolls a week... it took me 2 years to get a total of 20 MH dolls. Man, I thought I was spoiled.

purple_monkfish said:

I think it just gets a little annoying when so many photos show up on Flickr etc of kids yet again buying up 20 toys in a week because they can.

This... This.This.This.This.This.
This was exactly what I was thinking.... No offense,

Creepella de vamp said:

I'm not trying to be rude, but that's exactly like wookiewarrior23!

As for me, I guess I'm one of the spoiled childs... I have one of everything...

My mother loves to collect these dolls too, so she isn't ashamed to be buy me every doll. But I still do my share as well. I do chores around the house, I run errands, and I occasionally work card shows. And monster high is the only thing I collect/buy. So all my money (birthday, christmas, work money, allowance, etc) goes to my collection. 

Plus next year i'm going to hopefully get a job so.... then I can pay for most of my dolls <3

I have 27 dolls (basic releases and a few OC dolls), I buy them with my own pocket money, usually 1 doll/month

I have been collecting myself  for two years now, since I first saw them and I have 78 dolls. When I first started collecting them I had a job at the U.S. Census Bureau and made about $13.40 an hour. At first I only wanted Draculaura but then Frankie and the others grew on me, and within three days I had them all. (Mind you this was before they were hard to find). At the time I had no bills to pay except a cell phone bill and for my books at my university. I was able to get several dolls while I had that job.

Now, I just hunt my local stores and grab them when I see them. In my area, it seems like unless the dolls are going to be at Meijer (Meijer is a midwest only store), we won't see them for awhile. It gives me time to save up money for when I find them in stores.  I usually buy maybe 2-4 a month. Sometimes its a dry period MH-wise and I won't see anything I don't have for months, which lets me save up for when the shipments get in.

To CKasper: I saw Skylanders in your picture, that's awesome. I collect them both myself.

CKasper said:

I work at FORD ( $15.00+ hr ) my wife works as a nurse ( $18.00+ hr ) - my daughter has well over 40 dolls and im fine with it as long as she takes care of them. she gets about 1 a month BUT me and her mom by them when ever we see them and put them up in are closet untill the next big day ( b-day - christmas ) we also hit stores on delivery day and will never use Ebay with there crazy prices ( this helps keep cost down ) my daughters B-day was 2 days ago and the pic below is all she got in monster high - all her other items ( non MH related ) are not pictured

*Raises hand* I plead guilty of this too.

Reno Kun said:

This... This.This.This.This.This.
This was exactly what I was thinking.... No offense,

Creepella de vamp said:

I'm not trying to be rude, but that's exactly like wookiewarrior23!

When I was a kid, I had to wait until my birthday and my name day (we celebrate our names too in Greece, since our names come from saints and saints have their own day of celebration) to ask for presents. Otherwise, I saved money via singing the carols during the holidays, and if I was really good I got an "extra" present or two during the rest of the year.

Now, you see kids with hordes of toys and dolls, most of them in a bad state because of what purple_monkfish said ("So what if I muck this doll up? Mommy and daddy will get me another one") that also have cell phones and such, and haven't done so much as raise a finger to get all that.

If those kids have ads set up on their youtube videos, they actually can get paid per view. So, they could be making their own money to spend on MH to make more videos to buy more dolls. 

When I was younger, I saved my lunch money ($20 every 2 weeks, we didn't get a real "allowance") and just got up early to make a sack lunch. Then when I was old enough to push the lawnmower, I got another $20 to mow the lawn every week. And then in high school, I ran a "bakery" out of my homeroom class and sold brownies, cupcakes, and/or fruit punch (but I didn't buy dolls with that money). Now I'm 21, and I have a part time job and I buy the dolls when I see the ones I want or ones I think I can trade for ones I want, but my collection is currently only 32 strong. I think kids today just might be more enterprising with the advancements in technology.

Completely off-topic (or a little on-topic): It annoys me to no end when my friends try to lecture me about buying my MH dolls. I mean, I know I don't NEED MH dolls, but I love them. And frankly, it's none of your business if I spent $25 on a doll or what I plan to do with the dolls. And it's especially annoying because none of them spend their money on anything more practical. Oh, you go out drinking 4 nights a week and that's somehow more cost effective than buying a doll (or 3) every 2 weeks? Oh, you eat out at Whataburger or order a pizza every other day, or go get a spray tan and a manicure/pedicure every week, but that's more prudent than me having a collection? It's not like I don't have a savings account, or I skip rent or anything, I'm very responsible, so let me have my one fun thing! *END RANT* 

But seriously, other people judge you guys, right?

oh yes, some people do judge you...I have friends that make sure they buy the latest gadgets/ipad/iphones etc..., go out regularly for dinner/drinks, yet think it's weird to be a doll collector.

not everyone sees it negatively of course, I do have friends who are intrigued, and who I know would really love to start their own collections, they just don't know how to start. There is this stigma about dolls being only for young girls, but thanks to the youtube doll channels and social media, I see more interest in them.

Sorry CKasper, and this may come off as extremely rude, but there is NO reason for one kid to get that much for their birthday.  That is way over the top.  I have 3 kids and try to give them everything they want but realistically, they don't NEED everything they WANT so we try to balance it all out.

My oldest is definitely the most spoiled because he was the only child for 6 years.  He was given everything and he had so much stuff that we ended up donating a lot of his toys because he simply couldn't and wasn't playing with them all.  Even when I was a kid, I wanted every new Barbie that came out but thankfully my parents didn't buy them all for me or else the ones I did get, I wouldn't have loved and taken care of as much.

I think also, MH has become more of an obsession for parents.  They want to get their kids every doll that comes out and their kid is more than likely happy with 2 or 3 not 20 or 30.

CKasper said:

I work at FORD ( $15.00+ hr ) my wife works as a nurse ( $18.00+ hr ) - my daughter has well over 40 dolls and im fine with it as long as she takes care of them. she gets about 1 a month BUT me and her mom by them when ever we see them and put them up in are closet untill the next big day ( b-day - christmas ) we also hit stores on delivery day and will never use Ebay with there crazy prices ( this helps keep cost down ) my daughters B-day was 2 days ago and the pic below is all she got in monster high - all her other items ( non MH related ) are not pictured

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service