Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

HOT NEWS FOR MALE DOLLS!

Hello Everyone!

So, I was at the mall with my mom a few weeks ago and we decided to go into one of those ToysRus Express shops. I wanted to dig around for the CAM puma boy, which I highly doubted they had. I was digging....and digging....and digging through tons of cams on a rack, when suddenly, I see a blue head. It was the CAM Puma boy! I was so excited I grabbed him in my locked arms and did a happy little jig in place.... An old lady looked at me like I was crazy.... O_o MYOB Lady XD XD

Anyway, as I was checking out with my prize, the cashier dude and I strike up a conversation about Monster High. He started chatting about the abundance of Frankie dolls, and then we moved onto the rarity of the Puma Boy. THEN We talked about how it's annoying he has no torso.

The cashier slipped me some very valuable information.

So, you know the CAM Lab with the tattoos?

He said that Mattel is going to start making plain male torsos for the CAM lab.

Ah, the possibilities! Does this mean male tattoos? More characters? More body molds? More male wigs?

What do you think? I am very excited with this news. I personally can't wait to see what Mattel throws at us.

Tags: Boy, CAM, Dolls, For, Hot, Male, New, News, Puma

Views: 1478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Moral to the story: DIG, PEOPLE, DIG! XD You might find Gold!

What are your opinions?

Look at your Design Lab ... it is impossible to bring a male torso in the hole !

They would have to make a new lab just for males then wouldn't they? Unless there is some way to pull the current body mold out of the frame of the lab and switch it out for a male mold? I wouldn't know because I don't have the CAM lab. But I seriously doubt they would make a whole new CAM lab just for male dolls. Is the original one even selling that well?

I'm curious as to how a cashier at TRU knows this.

@ Triumvirate   (Sorry, my 'enter key' on the computer I'm using now is broken. Faithful Arrow Keys!)

I don't have the Lab either. Perhaps Mattel will make like a "Wave 2" Lab with interchangeable molds. Meaning, you could pull out the body holder for a female and pop a male body holder in it's place. Same for other body parts. I do wonder how that would work. O_o

@ raptorgirl

It does seem kinda fishy....  Maybe he knew someone who works with Mattel?

I was getting ready to say the same things as most of you. A male torso will not work in ANY way with the current CAM lab. The entire "mold" area is all one piece. You would have to take out the ENTIRE plate and would have to put in a new one for the parts to be held in place.

I also have had interesting conversations with male TRU employees. I'm not sure if it's because it's a sure fire way to get a girl to talk to you or if there is some truth behind it. One guy I chatted up in Gurnee was the manager and he said he goes with a couple other regional TRU managers to toy shows that are only open to retailers. Sometimes Mattel will give the managers a scoop on what's in the works so they can plan out how to arrange displays and grab attention from people who are just walking by the aisle and draw them in.

Moral of the story: take any unconfirmed gossip with a grain of salt and don't get too excited.

how exaclty did he know this?

One small problem -- the lab was not designed to accommodate male bodies. Correct?

Not saying that Mattel won't put out a male version of the Design Lab, but they are not going to release male Cam add-on packs with for a lab that they are not compatible with. That would be a 2nd $40 purchase to have a male lab. The cost and profit would not be worth it. If Mattel was going to increase the amount of male dolls, it would be with core dolls, themed dolls, or in the CAM (non-lab) sets. On average we see one male doll in five (up to eight) female MH dolls. And there is a good reason for that, males are never as popular as the female counterparts. Yes, collectors would get every male, and as many males as there are females -- but children won't. And not their parents either -- most kids only want a hand full of the dolls (one or two of their favorite characters) and the males are always the least favored and least sold. Just put the dolls in order of importance to you -- do you want a specific guy doll or do Frankie, Drac, Cloe, Clawdeen, Ghoula, Abbey, etc., fill out your top 5? There might be a male or two for some, but for the majority of people it would only be female dolls in their top five or even top 10. When it comes to children and their parents, most cannot afford more than 3 or 4 MH dolls so they will be getting the dolls the kids want most.

It sounds like yet another case were a sales clerk is just making stuff up to mess with people. A sales clerk should not have that kind of information. In order for the clerk to know, their manager has to tell them. That manager would have to be told by their district manager. That district manager would have to be told be their regional manager. And the only way the regional manager would know is if somehow the toy buyer told them, and that's not too likely to happen. Monster high is one of thousands of products by hundreds of manufactures that a story like toys r us carry in a year. So the odds for store clerks knowing some big secretive information is not very likely at all. The companies marketing/adverising department might know of it, but only if it's relevant -- as in it's going to be in a flyer, part of a promo, or added to the website.

If Mattel did put out a male lab add-on, like the Puma it would probably be put out in the exciting assortment -- so the store would not even have that information for product placement, because they already have a spot for the current assortment. Now if there was a new male lab, and a new male assortment to go with that lab, then they would give that information for the store reset and product placement -- so that would just be weeks before the product hits store shelves.

So when it comes down to it, the information seems a little hard to believe.

Retailers don't get "tips" on shelf display, vendors and suppliers will send specific planograms that tell you how and where they must display the items.  If a store deviates its because they have backstock they have to put out (like when walmart will have a shelf of jumbled whatever) Or a local vendor that has negotiated something with the district head (not just a manager).

Some stores set planos once a week, some at random when corporate needs certain things featured or rearranged (Walgreens switched to CCR style 2 years ago and had to reset the stores completely to shorter shelves)

There isn't much sense to the thought that there are special toys r us toy shows.  And store managers wouldn't go to those, corporate reps and MAYBE district reps would go to vendor exhibitions.

I think the chap was just chatting you up -take that how you will

And THIS is exactly why I take stuff with a grain of salt, especially when it's a guy "spilling the beans" to a gal who just happens to be buying the very items he seems to have the inside scoop on.

mvmarcz said:

Retailers don't get "tips" on shelf display, vendors and suppliers will send specific planograms that tell you how and where they must display the items.  If a store deviates its because they have backstock they have to put out (like when walmart will have a shelf of jumbled whatever) Or a local vendor that has negotiated something with the district head (not just a manager).

Some stores set planos once a week, some at random when corporate needs certain things featured or rearranged (Walgreens switched to CCR style 2 years ago and had to reset the stores completely to shorter shelves)

There isn't much sense to the thought that there are special toys r us toy shows.  And store managers wouldn't go to those, corporate reps and MAYBE district reps would go to vendor exhibitions.

I think the chap was just chatting you up -take that how you will

Yeah, sometimes I feel like we need more boys buts not news, with Barbie is the same.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Stu Carter.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service