Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

HEY MATTEL- Can the FANS get a chance to BUY SCARAH, TOO? SDCC sighting RANT

I don't complain much....but this is RIDICULOUS....

Mattel- Are you driving up your bottom line by making the dolls scarce and allowing DEALERS privileged buying at the COMIC CON? Do you honestly think that this is BENEFICIAL to YOU?

Mattel is allowing dealers at the convention to buy Scarah before the "average joe"....that's right, THE OTHER DEALERS and their family members have privilege to buy before the public and are causing the sell outs of the (piddly 100 dolls per day) allotment of dolls. It was bad enough that people with fake and photocopied badges were allowed to buy dolls, but how do you honestly expect middle class collectors (and poor kids) to buy your DOLLS? It is marketing and advantage tactics like this that make me want to sell my entire collection and say "MONSTER BYE". 

WE AS FANS have hired an ACTUAL COLLECTOR to spend his time and money (almost $2000) to go to the Convention to help us get these dolls at a price FAR lower than Ebay. AND WE AS FANS are getting SCREWED! (pardon my french) because he has no access to the dolls.

PROOF you want?

Here's the beginning....and I will continue to upload as I get them:

Dealer #1:  (you will note that he has more than the 6 doll allotment)

and he actually COMPLAINED that he was shorted 2 dolls.....hmmmmm

Views: 5652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's hope they read our complaints and took them seriously. I would hate to have to resort to the boycott because we like these dolls.

GranadoGirl said:

what i also find wrong is today...anyone who did not pick up there (already paid for pre-order first thing this morning)Mattel re-sold them to other people!! so Mattel just got paid for 2x on one darn doll...they were suppose to wait till the end of the day...Supposedly some "Big Wiggs" from Mattle were there and were very ticked at the events that took place at the MH booth.....we shall see

Wait wait, for real? You're kidding me.

Lisa Girl said:

So am I understanding this corretly. Scarah will not be available for purchase on the Matty Collector wesbite?

This stinks.

Ninapedia said:

Wait wait, for real? You're kidding me.

Lisa Girl said:

So am I understanding this corretly. Scarah will not be available for purchase on the Matty Collector wesbite?

There's no news on that direct from Matty yet. However, the MH Insider on tumblr heard that they would be selling her on Matty with dolls set aside just to be sold on there. I still say check Matty everyday to see if the news section confirms this. As of right now she IS going to be there.

Lisa Girl said:

Well I hope they do something about it, they know that they loads of fans and there is a huge scalper problem. They pretty much gave the scalpers what they want at the comic con and hardly any fans got a chance to get a doll. Why vendors are even allowed to purchase the dolls I do not know, I thought the point was that fans buy from Mattel themselves not from some vendor. Why should fans even bother going in the future if they can't even get a doll that is only available there? Why should fans have to buy on ebay or any other place for higher prices? 

So far I've seen TWO PEOPLE. TWO. That are fans, who have been able to get their dolls. There are OVER FORTY on ebay. many of them selling for $100+. I refuse to go check and see how high people are bidding now.

Royally screwed up there, Mattel. There has to be a better way to sell these so that everyone gets a fair shot. And maybe the profs weren't allowed to buy them- but still many ended up at Con tables for inflated prices anyway. The six doll limit was BS, and I hope in the future you make it up to us by making a Scarah and Hoodude available in stores.

(Since you obviously don't care about keeping "exclusives" exclusive *coff BASIC CUPID coff coff*)

Okay, to repeat what was said before, NO Professionals and Exhibitors were NOT allowed to get the dolls before anyone else, in fact on Preview night, Pros and Exhibitors were NOT ALLOWED to get in line to buy ANYTHING from Mattel. 

Also: People do SDCC exclusives so that people who attend Comic Con can have something special. I don't think that it's unfair to offer exclusives. Lots of people travel from very far and spend all of their vacation at SDCC and I think it's kinda cool that Mattel does exclusives. Yeah, it's not really okay for people to scalp, but I think that limited the number of dolls to 3 would be better than 6. I saw a lot of people with boxes of dolls and I wasn't really sure what was up with that considering that it was very clear that the limit was 6 and that they were being very careful with it. Checking the badges and making sure that you were not in line more than once for the show. Being a collector, part of the fun is the scarcity. Running over there first thing in the morning gets your heart racing, and getting a score is made all the better! I'm a collector and I only bought 2, I got one for myself and one for a friend who was not able to attend SDCC. I had to wait until Thursday because I was exhibiting.

If the limit was 3, then people could buy a doll for their kid, one for themselves and one for a friend. At Hasbro the limit was 3, and I was only able to get a Derpy because I had a friend wait in that line. He got one for me and one for himself and that was it. 

In past experience, SDCC would not let Exhibitors, Professionals or Press buy any exclusives until Sunday.  They complained because some of them are collectors just like us.  So the companies put a max on what people can buy. 

But they can't stop people from bringing friends in in line with them to boost their allotments (like other collectors on this and other sites do).  They also can't stop dealers from paying people in line to buy stuff for them ( like people on this and other sites do). In other words, there is no "fair" way to do this, unless they do away with exclusives completely. 

For all intents and purposes, I'm one of the folks you're mad at because I waited my turn, got my allotment, and turned around and passed them on to my fellow collectors here.  But realize, all the ranting and raving and boycotting isn't going to stop anything but the production of the line, which isn't what we want, right?

While I think the scalping that went on AT SDCC was horrible, it's pretty much par for the course with in demand CC exclusives. The "startling" part of it all is that the people collecting MH may not have ever experienced it before. But if you're an avid collector of any other popular toy line (especially action figures) there's a chance you know where this all stems from and there's very little anyone can do to stop it. Scalpers will always find a way. It's still a lesson to be learned, and I would bet Mattel will limit next years doll and produce more on top of that to try and meet demand. The past 2 years the dolls didn't sell out, and they don't bring their entire stock, so there's a chance that the demand was as surprising to them as it was to the fans.

As far as store exclusives - within the toy industry, consider this: IF it's not a store exclusive, it probably never would have been made in the first place.

As a professional badge holder, I've never been turned away from purchasing any exclusives. This is the first year where Pro's couldn't purchase exclusives on Preview Night, but other than that, in the past 7 years I've gone, I've always been allowed to purchase.

Jess said:

In past experience, SDCC would not let Exhibitors, Professionals or Press buy any exclusives until Sunday.  They complained because some of them are collectors just like us.  So the companies put a max on what people can buy. 

But they can't stop people from bringing friends in in line with them to boost their allotments (like other collectors on this and other sites do).  They also can't stop dealers from paying people in line to buy stuff for them ( like people on this and other sites do). In other words, there is no "fair" way to do this, unless they do away with exclusives completely. 

For all intents and purposes, I'm one of the folks you're mad at because I waited my turn, got my allotment, and turned around and passed them on to my fellow collectors here.  But realize, all the ranting and raving and boycotting isn't going to stop anything but the production of the line, which isn't what we want, right?

STORE exclusives only last for a period of time (typically a season). Also, the dolls were always limited to 6 per person in previous years. Typically the exclusive is limited the # that fit in a shipping box (TYPICALLY 6), but some larger exclusives, I'm not so sure about.

To top this all off, as MH has gotten bigger and bigger, I don't think there's anyway to please all of the fans all of the time. if say 5,000 Scarah's were made, and there's 50,000 fans, the majority will still always be disappointed in not getting them. Convention exclusives are not typically always easy to get, that's the point of them being a convention exclusive. Toy COLLECTORS like "LIMITED EDITION" things.

melissa dee said:

So far I've seen TWO PEOPLE. TWO. That are fans, who have been able to get their dolls. There are OVER FORTY on ebay. many of them selling for $100+. I refuse to go check and see how high people are bidding now.

Royally screwed up there, Mattel. There has to be a better way to sell these so that everyone gets a fair shot. And maybe the profs weren't allowed to buy them- but still many ended up at Con tables for inflated prices anyway. The six doll limit was BS, and I hope in the future you make it up to us by making a Scarah and Hoodude available in stores.

(Since you obviously don't care about keeping "exclusives" exclusive *coff BASIC CUPID coff coff*)

I love the insinuation that you think they're behind the shortage of dolls, like some devious mastermind. They want to sell as much as possible, and are rolling dolls out as much as possible. Isn't that obvious by all the case assortments currently shipping? There's no way for any major toy company to control scalping. You can blame that on other fans buying from scalpers, as long as that keeps happening, they'll keep doing it. I would also speak to your local store managers, as they're the ones with the power to enforce limits, and be on the lookout for scalpers - which I've read other fans having great success with. Also - distribution to major retailers falls on those retailers, not Mattel. They run their own distribution warehouses - where product is received from Mattel. It's not like they think "oh let's ship these to Target first... maybe this time ToysRUs!" 

The conspiracy theories people have about the way companies like this work are insane. I'm just an avid toy collector who has a friend who works in the industry (not Mattel) so I feel like I have a decent understanding of certain processes these places follow. Either way, if you choose not to buy them, it just means more product on shelves for either fans, or unfortunately scalpers - that again, Mattel, and any other toy company for that matter, has no control over.

Terry said:

First Mattel makes fans go crazy with the shortage of regular line dolls then they have some hotch potch delivery so some stores get heaps and others none - I am sick of trying to get just regular dolls I don't even think of Special editions or this Comiccon stuff - I have simply lost interest in Monster High as I refuse to drive half way around the country trying to find dolls anymore and I won't pay scalpers for overpriced dolls either. I will go to my local store and buy whats on the shelves which are Bratz and other Fashion dolls which they have plenty off. It's just Mattel saying to loyal clustomers we want money at any cost - well think again Mattel this is one loyal customer who says go get stuffed.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service