Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Good, but sad trip to my local, CLOSING Big Kmart....and 1 MH doll (Lagoona).

Hello,

I don't know how much I'll be returning to my local Big Kmart store between now and when it closes forever, because it's currently holding a "Closing Sale", and the parking lot, which was virtually empty for years, was suddenly way more packed this afternoon, when I went there with some money after having gotten my flu shot.

My entire family is sad about the fact that this Kmart store is going to close, because we've been shopping there since about the mid-1980s, or so (1985 ?-now = About 33 years ), but I was surprised at how personally sad I was as I walked through the partially-bare isles of the same store that had outfitted me with various clothing items, dolls, jewelry, etc., since I was in grade school.   :(

Anyway, I wasted no time in visiting my favorite departments, and, finally, I went to the Toy Department, where I found 2 Cheerleader Lagoona dolls....and 1 Comic Lagoona (I got the Comic Lagoona, plus one lone, lost little Wee Waterbabies (Wee Strawberry) doll (The mini baby doll that's filled with actual water, so that it feels more realistic....Interesting....). You could say that there was sort of a water theme going on today. LOL!

Poor Lagoona is slightly wall-eyed, and she has some other eye flaws....and a wistful expression on her face, an expression that perfectly captures the sadness of anyone who loved this local Big Kmart store.   :(

With regard to the baby doll, I have been fascinated with mini baby dolls since about the early 2000s. I have two extremely tiny, electronic baby dolls from the early 2000s, plus three of the rare Babbling Babies from the early 2000s, and now....I have this new cutie! Adorable! Oh, and these Wee Waterbabies come in boxes that actually look like baby carriers, with a fat strap across the front, so that your Waterbaby can actually sit securely in the box. Mad props to Just Play for creative packaging!

Well, I might go back again, but returning to this particular Big Kmart store is going to be sad. I had been considering a peaceful protest, complete with picket signs....held by me alone, but, like the really cool cashier said to me today, when Wal*Mart came into town around the early 2000s, there were people who knew that our poor little Kmart store was probably in trouble.   :(

<Disappears into a shadow>

Goodbye,

The Whispering Wolf / Wolfie

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry to hear that! :( There was a family-owned grocery store near my house that had been around since the 1960s that closed the year I graduated high school, and it was like losing a family member honestly...so many memories. I feel you right now. 2018 was the end of an era in so many ways.

Hello, i^D,

You're very right. This is definitely the end of an era. 

Of course, during the course of my time in college, some cool, local stores, which I hadn't frequented as often as I should've, were shutting down, and that was slightly depressing, too.

I guess that that kind of "The times, they are a'changin'" thing just happens from time to time. It seems as though these last two decades just haven't been setting very well with me, though.. It's like, these days, new, more abrasive versions of the protests of the 1960s are marrying themselves with the "Poor me!" attitude of the 1990s, to create one heck of a miserable national climate here in America.    :(

Oh, but now, of course, they're trying to take the dolls away from people, too. Our doll culture / subculture (?) will have to work around that setback, and those of us who have children will have to find ways to keep the magic of doll enthusiasm alive for them during these really boring times.

I am really, truly hoping that the non-Barbie fashion doll has not become just one more eternal memory....

I'm sorry about my really negative attitude, but the lack of my favorite types of dolls in the stores is driving me absolutely batty!

Goodbye,

Hello,

I made another trip to Big Kmart. So sad....opened candy bags, items everywhere, a real ghost town look about the entire place.   :(

I didn't even see any dolls that I wanted. I found the one last Monster High doll, Comic Book Frankie, but I left her there, because I didn't really want her enough. In some ways, I am now wishing that I had picked her up....

I might try to go back before the week is over, because our local store is supposed to close for good right around Christmas.   :(

Goodbye,

Hello,

Well, I decided to go back to the local Big Kmart store, just to see if that Comic Book Frankie was still there. She was, so I got her, and then, when I found the Caucasian version of the original, purple hat Wee Water Babies Wee Monster doll in the book section, I got that doll, too.

I am now used to the overall look of the store, but it's even more of a sorry sight than it was awhile back! I mean, there were opened candy bags and the like in there before, but this time, I looked through the toy section even more carefully, and I saw this one poor, lone 30th Anniversary Barbie doll....attached to her backing, but missing her freaking box! The others were in perfect condition, but this one was missing her box, and the box was nowhere in sight! Who the heck even does that to a high-end doll? What the heck did they want to own for free so badly that they were willing to take a Holiday Barbie out of her box? Did they seriously want the box? Sheesh!

Oh, and the local store was supposed to be closing around the middle of January, but now they're going to be closing around the 5th instead.    :(

Goodbye,

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service