Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

I actually rather like discussions that discuss animation styles. So which do you prefer?

I'm honestly more in favor of the CGI style. I was never impressed with the Flash stuff. The CGI style definitely has more effort put into it for one and I just like seeing the characters from all angles. And as well limitless expressions and movement.

I admit the CGI animation isn't absolutely amazing, it's no Pixar animation, and I'm not a huge fan of the already shaded colours on the models rather than just make a light source to add the shading. But for me, the CGI I think works better for them. I think most of the characters look better honestly. Like Cleo, I really never cared for how her hair looked in the Flash animation. Plus am I the only one that notices how almost every character has one eye smaller than the other? Eyes don't get shorter when the head is slightly turned, they just get skinnier! A weird nitpick I can never get over when a new character is added and one of their eyes is always smaller than the other. I also think most of the boys look better in CGI. And I like how almost all the characters look very much like their dolls.

Though I really don't like Clawdeen's hair at all in CGI. Way too overly shiny.

I definitely think Jackson and Holt look better in the CGI. I was always so bothered by how they looked in the 2-D. Again, not horrible but I never cared for it.

Though if I am to pick any type of animation style that MH has done so far it'd be the commercial 2D animation mainly cause compared to the Flash animation used for the webisodes and the CGI used for the specials, it doesn't look half assed. I would love for it if they did a whole special in that animation style. They'd of course would need a bigger budget than what they get for the webisodes and CGI specials. But given the fact that they're apparently the 2nd best selling doll line out there, it probably wouldn't take too much time to get that budget.

Don't think they'll ever do it but it'd be interesting.

Views: 961

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess this is all definitely a to each is to own cause I actually feel like in CGI they look a lot more flowy and have an interesting style all their own whereas I feel the flash is often half assed and seems a bit more typical to me. Plus as Justin shows I just think the characters look a bit better especially in all angles and how they show emotions. For me it's hard to take certain scenes in MH seriously if done in Flash cause of how they don't appear very emotional in it.

Because maybe people LIKE IT???

i^D said:

I HATE CGI. Pixar included. Something so wrong about it, and ugly.

The "Flash" webisodes, that look like they could have been hand-drawn, are stylistically awesome and I love them and the way they look. If the webisodes had been done in stupid, ugly CGI, I would not have watched them and probably would not have bought any more Monster High dolls besides Wave 1 Clawdeen and Lagoona.

No offense, that is how I feel.

But seriously, for something so hideous, CGI is waaaaaaaaay overused. I do not understand why it would ever be used at all considering how it looks, but whatever reason(s) may be given, they would be unsatisfactory.

And because it IS a valid artform? And tastes differ?

I am a huge fan of CGI being used RIGHT. Most of Pixar, some of Dreamworks and other companies. (I like the Winx Club Movie) and Ghost in the Shell; Innocence, which still has the BEST CGI/Handdrawn images-integration EVER.

AngelLust155 said:

Because maybe people LIKE IT???

i^D said:

I HATE CGI. Pixar included. Something so wrong about it, and ugly.

The "Flash" webisodes, that look like they could have been hand-drawn, are stylistically awesome and I love them and the way they look. If the webisodes had been done in stupid, ugly CGI, I would not have watched them and probably would not have bought any more Monster High dolls besides Wave 1 Clawdeen and Lagoona.

No offense, that is how I feel.

But seriously, for something so hideous, CGI is waaaaaaaaay overused. I do not understand why it would ever be used at all considering how it looks, but whatever reason(s) may be given, they would be unsatisfactory.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service