Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Hello,

On the page 4 of this Discussion, Blue Guzman spoke of his Ebay store. On it, you can see Cupid in a new box!

There are a few on Ebay (here and here)

Views: 1834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm joining the "new outfit" group. Releasing her as the same is so tacky.

I really hope they don't do something similar with Scarah.

Rodimus Knight said:

They probably gave her her old outfit because it would be "cheaper" to do that than create/produce a whole new outfit for a re-release.

That's the only reason I could think of, other than maybe avoid the " Why do you re-release her in a new outfit when most of us weren't able to get her original S1600 version?" complaints from some fans...which likely wouldn't work.

Rodimus Knight said:

Anyone know where I can find writing from her diary? has it been posted on the wikia?

I hate this.  It's not a very good looking version of the doll, and it will only prevent the first edition dolls from accruing value.  Milk it, Mattel.  Make us chase down "rare" dolls and then flood the market with them.  Yeah, I like the dolls for what they are, but it is nice to know you're not just throwing your money away by the bucket.  A Monster High doll represents about two or three hours of work for me, and Cupid probably cost me four, after they've taken out for social security and charged me state sales tax.  So, it'd be nice if she'd be worth more than $5 in the box ten years from now.  If they're going to just crank out the exclusives in the same outfits indefinitely, they're not very exclusive.  Not like they're going to break up the two packs to make newer or harder to find characters more affordable for us.  I still don't have Deuce, Clawd, or Howleen, because I didn't want any duplicate characters.  So, I kept hoping I'd find Deuce or Clawd's single editions in a store, and I never did.  And if I remember correctly, I paid something like five dollars extra for this Cupid, because it wasn't basic, it was part of the Sweet 1600 line.  So, Walmart was charging $20 instead of $15 or so, and now the common edition will likely be at the basics pricepoint.  Great.

Yes, I am aware I'm complaining.

Cupid was actually easier to find the Howleen and Clawdeen were. What are the chances of Howleen being reissued in a classic package? If you're going to make an exclusive it should be exclusive. At least make the dress a different color or something.  I am aware of how cheap Mattle is too. I collect MOTUC figures. Now that is cheap.

FrejaSashe said:

They probably gave her her old outfit because it would be "cheaper" to do that than create/produce a whole new outfit for a re-release.

That's the only reason I could think of, other than maybe avoid the " Why do you re-release her in a new outfit when most of us weren't able to get her original S1600 version?" complaints from some fans...which likely wouldn't work.

Rodimus Knight said:

I agree with Grimmie. If she came with a pet I'd be mad... but in all honesty I would probably just buy one of the re-releases for the pet and then put the doll on eBay. I'm not bothered by the re-release at all. Her hair is horrible and she probably comes with the lame black stand. I'm glad that I have the exclusive version of her. Her Diary was leaked to the web before I even saw the doll in the store lol Besides this means that they might make non-exclusive versions of the others, so that's always good news.

However I want to say that if you're into collecting Monster High for retail value you're probably in the wrong market. A very select few dolls are really of value and like anything they'll only be worth what the demand is for them. I would MUCH rather them re-release dolls in a abundance so that I can actually GET one of the dolls in the first place at a fair price. Saying you throw your money away and then wishing they were worth more makes no sense. If you want them to be worth more, then that means you'll have to pay more. I like things the way they are personally. I can just keep in time with basic releases without breaking the bank.

Regardless, I am almost positive that there will still be plenty of people who will want the Exclusive version of Cupid. I know if I didn't already have one, that's the one I would be looking for, not this new one.

This is another reason why I don't like to pay anything above retail for dolls in the first place and refuse to buy dolls from eBay. I have noticed that if you're just patient the doll you almost spent twice as much for, will eventually end up being re-released.

As far as the 2pks go, I always make the plan to split them with someone. I wanted Basic Clawd w/ pet and Diary, but I didn't want another Draculaura, so I simply sold her to someone who just wanted Draculaura and not Clawd. Easy Peasy. Same with the Howleen 2pk if I can ever find it. My friend doesn't have a Clawdeen, so I'll just give mine to her. If I didn't have that option I would just sell her on eBay or here. There are so many people who collect MH and everyone pretty much collects differently. Plus there are so many customizers and everything else. I don't think there is such a thing as an unwanted doll.

Hope that made you feel a little better lol

xMadxScientistx said:

I hate this.  It's not a very good looking version of the doll, and it will only prevent the first edition dolls from accruing value.  Milk it, Mattel.  Make us chase down "rare" dolls and then flood the market with them.  Yeah, I like the dolls for what they are, but it is nice to know you're not just throwing your money away by the bucket.  A Monster High doll represents about two or three hours of work for me, and Cupid probably cost me four, after they've taken out for social security and charged me state sales tax.  So, it'd be nice if she'd be worth more than $5 in the box ten years from now.  If they're going to just crank out the exclusives in the same outfits indefinitely, they're not very exclusive.  Not like they're going to break up the two packs to make newer or harder to find characters more affordable for us.  I still don't have Deuce, Clawd, or Howleen, because I didn't want any duplicate characters.  So, I kept hoping I'd find Deuce or Clawd's single editions in a store, and I never did.  And if I remember correctly, I paid something like five dollars extra for this Cupid, because it wasn't basic, it was part of the Sweet 1600 line.  So, Walmart was charging $20 instead of $15 or so, and now the common edition will likely be at the basics pricepoint.  Great.

Grimmie Reaper said:

if she had a pet i would be mad

Please can we share our mutual joy and skip the complaints over re-issues. Many of us are new collectors who don't even have 1 Cupid yet let alone 2. It's your choiuce to buy the re issue or not but to post your anger with Mattel over it is silly.  One should be angry with themselves for falling for sensationalistic marketing. I have found if your not greedy and impatient the dolls will come along at a fair price and we can defeat all the scalpers on e-bay. Enjoy the beauty and don't worry so much about it's value. it will just sour you on the experience in the long run.
Werecat Strut said:

I agree with Grimmie. If she came with a pet I'd be mad... but in all honesty I would probably just buy one of the re-releases for the pet and then put the doll on eBay. I'm not bothered by the re-release at all. Her hair is horrible and she probably comes with the lame black stand. I'm glad that I have the exclusive version of her. Her Diary was leaked to the web before I even saw the doll in the store lol Besides this means that they might make non-exclusive versions of the others, so that's always good news.

However I want to say that if you're into collecting Monster High for retail value you're probably in the wrong market. A very select few dolls are really of value and like anything they'll only be worth what the demand is for them. I would MUCH rather them re-release dolls in a abundance so that I can actually GET one of the dolls in the first place at a fair price. Saying you throw your money away and then wishing they were worth more makes no sense. If you want them to be worth more, then that means you'll have to pay more. I like things the way they are personally. I can just keep in time with basic releases without breaking the bank.

Regardless, I am almost positive that there will still be plenty of people who will want the Exclusive version of Cupid. I know if I didn't already have one, that's the one I would be looking for, not this new one.

This is another reason why I don't like to pay anything above retail for dolls in the first place and refuse to buy dolls from eBay. I have noticed that if you're just patient the doll you almost spent twice as much for, will eventually end up being re-released.

As far as the 2pks go, I always make the plan to split them with someone. I wanted Basic Clawd w/ pet and Diary, but I didn't want another Draculaura, so I simply sold her to someone who just wanted Draculaura and not Clawd. Easy Peasy. Same with the Howleen 2pk if I can ever find it. My friend doesn't have a Clawdeen, so I'll just give mine to her. If I didn't have that option I would just sell her on eBay or here. There are so many people who collect MH and everyone pretty much collects differently. Plus there are so many customizers and everything else. I don't think there is such a thing as an unwanted doll.

Hope that made you feel a little better lol

xMadxScientistx said:

Grimmie Reaper said:

if she had a pet i would be mad

Anon, I think it's okay to complain when you're not happy about something.  I'm not attacking your ability to find dolls you don't have, I'm frustrated that I'm buying beanie babies again, metaphorically speaking.  

Collections are not forever.  I only have so much room in my house, and I collect more than one thing.  Ten years from now, there might be something else I want to collect, or I might move into a smaller house or have a baby, and at that time I'd like to be able to get about half my money back or better so I can move on to something else.  Right now, I really love the dolls and I want to acquire more of them, but I've had other collections in the past that I've felt the same way about.  I was pretty seriously into Liv Dolls when they first came out, and now I find myself putting those away so I have more space to display my Monster High dolls.  Someday soon, I may have so many Tonner Dolls that I'll have to sell my Liv Dolls to have space to display and store my Tonners.  I already have more action figures than I have space to display, so some of those are in a storage box.

Even if you're absolutely sure you're going to collect Monster High dolls until you're dead, eventually your family will have to sell them, and when they do, you want them to be able to raise a little bit of cash out of them.  Not necessarily make money, we're not under the impression these are 80's My Little Ponies in the box or even the first issue of Action Comics featuring Superman, but get some small sliver of your original purchase back.

What I'm saying is, I don't think it's wrong to be mindful of the value of the item you're purchasing in terms of supply and demand when you buy it.  I don't think you should buy things just because you think they're worth the retail price.  I think you should find something you like and buy it.  But I don't think you should buy everything you like.  I think it's reasonable to consider when you're making your purchase whether what you're buying is worth the retail price and whether it will still be worth half that ten years from now.  I buy Monster High dolls with the expectation that they'll be worth about half what I paid ten years from now, and I don't think that's unreasonable.

I grew up working in flea markets, I'm well aware that just because something is older doesn't mean it's worth more.  I sell 90's Star Wars figures for about $4 each in the package.  That's a good bit less than what they cost when they were new. Some are worth less than that.  And it's because Hasbro keeps putting out more Star Wars figures of the same characters over and over again, and the figures never accrue any rarity.  There are people out there with whole basements full of Star Wars figures new in the package that are worth a third or less than what they paid for them.  Does that mean they're bad Star Wars fans, that they're just scalpers who got stung?  Or did they enjoy buying those figures in the stores almost twenty years ago, and now they're stuck with a whole bunch of cheap toys that they're still making to this very day, and this person is out of space and money to buy more.  Does it make him a bad Star Wars fan if he sells his collection and feels like he's taking a loss?

Beanie babies are worth about $1 each now, and they don't sell fast at that price.  Their retail price when my mother and I were collecting them was about $8. $1 is pretty far less than half of $8, and if you were a serious collector, you probably had a hundred beanie babies or so.  So $800 worth of beanie babies turns into $100 worth of beanie babies instead of a more predictable $400.

The Star Wars crash killed collecting action figures for a while.  It's come back now, but people are more cautious about which toylines they collect.  The Beanie Baby crash has impacted the mindset of collectors forever.  Everybody got burned on that.  There are almost no people out there who were collectors when the crash happened that still like Beanie Babies.  Fewer still that would buy another one.

There are some toylines with a much better history for collectors.  GI Joe is an example of this.  GI Joes hold up pretty well.  Hot Wheels hold up pretty well.  And that's generally because they know there are adult collectors out there and they try to keep collecting fun for them.  GI JOE has an exclusive fan club through which collectors can acquire extra rare limited figures.  These are extra expensive, but my buddy loves GI JOES and he thinks it's worthwhile to have the exclusive figures.  Hot Wheels have special ways to keep scalpers from finding some of the rare Treasure Hunt cars.  Some of the treasure hunt cars aren't labeled the way the regular ones are so that it's harder for people who only care about the money to scalp the cars.  That way when collectors come to the store early in the morning when it first opens, the manager hasn't picked them all out to sell on ebay unless he really knows what he's doing.

Toys are not generally a good investment, but part of that does rest with the manufacturer, and when they keep re releasing the same toys over and over again or in overly large quantities, the people that end up holding the buck are the consumers.  Things like having false exclusives or pretending you're going to discontinue a line when you're not really frustrates people who are willing to pay for something.  And I think it's okay to express that to the community when you feel like it.

If this is helping you get Holt or Cupid or one of the girls we've already got several options on, that's great.  I'd kind of like to have Clawdeen in her original outfit instead of just the Gloom Beach one I have.  I'm just saying that it frustrates me to know that the doll I purchased as an exclusive isn't really exclusive, the dolls I had that I thought were discontinued aren't really discontinued, and I'm concerned we're going to see more of this in the future.

It's something to think about, and I don't think I'm wrong or less of a fan for mentioning it.

i hate this cupid she just looks ugly to me and i hate her hair i think it is stupid to mke a nother cupid that look almost exaclty like the first one they made

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service