Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Hey guys!

I haven't really been into MH lately but I do BJD faceups and want to do more practices on MH heads so I have some questions.  

I'm in a hurry so I thought I'd just post instead of search. Sorry.

Do MH heads stain? (when using watered down acrylic paint, pastels, watercolour pencils)

Do they need sealed before repainting?

I assume they need sealed between layers, what sealant is used?

If I think of more I'll post.

Thanks.

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen them stain if your paints are highly pigmented (but cheaper paints also tend to have a higher stain chance, or so it seems). I'm just beginning to repaint my own dolls, but I use Prismacolor pencils only, and they work wonderfully. My hands are often too shaky to work in acrylics. :/

After wiping the factory paint (acetone, as you likely know, is your best, fastest bet, as long as it doesn't get on the plastic of their bodies or the hard wig cap on CAM dolls), I use Mister Super Clear flat, which can be found on Amazon and the like. I know others use Testors Dullcote (I believe that's the spelling), and it's a bit easier to find.

Just do each layer (I do the whites of their eyes, eyebrows, lips, blushing, and eyeliner first), then seal, let dry, and do a second layer (whites of their eyes again, eyeliner, lips and blushing if need be, etc), seal, let dry, then go into further detail.

From what I've seen/read, it's about the same as repainting a BJD; just layer after layer, with sealant in between. :)

Good luck!!

Thank you so much! :D I tried working on one today (without sealant) and the watercolour pencils don't show up, and the pastels came off. So I guess you have to seal first.

the Mister Super Clear flat give the vinyl tooth to hold on to pencils,pastels, etc. If you make a mistake the color can be washed of and you don't have respray.

VoltageBoltz said:

Thank you so much! :D I tried working on one today (without sealant) and the watercolour pencils don't show up, and the pastels came off. So I guess you have to seal first.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service