Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Sometimes I feel too old to be collecting dolls.  I'm 28 years old and I love collecting Monster High dolls (currently have 16 and looking for more), Jem dolls, action figures...etc  But how old is too old?  Or are you ever too old?

How old are you and what do you think?? 

Let's use this to see what the average age of a Monster High fan is!

Tags: age, are, collecting, dolls, how, old, toys, you

Views: 3007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with what they all said, you're never too old to do something you enjoy doing. I'm 33 and adore dolls, Begoths, Barbie, Pullip and of course MH.  I'm just a big kid on the inside, being all grown up isn't what it's all cracked up to be!! Life is too short to give a toss about what other people say, screw 'em!

I don't think your ever too old for dolls. I started to collect BJD's before MH and I fell in utter love with them after finally deciding to look at them in the store closely and fell in love with my favorite Ghoulia. I wanted her so badly I did anything to get her and I finally did.

I'm fifteen years old at that and have three Obitsu, Three MH and one Harmoine knock off.

It's so nice seeing these posts in here. Not just for the adult collectors here, but for the kids that pop in aswell. A lot of the younger users here are going to be getting to the age pretty soon, where they might be made fun of for owning dolls.
I think they need to see now that you're never too old for something that makes you happy. :)

And I think I need to drop a C.S. Lewis quote here...

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

If anyone thinks it's childish to like dolls, they're, unfortunately, immature themselves. :)

Tomorrow I will turn 39 and I'm a doll collector for 20 years, I have Barbies, Jem dolls, Living Dead dolls, Ellowyne Wilde, Gene, a couple of BJd's and Monster High!!

I personally think you never have to feel to young or old to collect or love something!!

I once tried to explain to a non-collector how happy it makes you to add something to your collection, how much joy that brings you... he didn't get it...

Love your collection!!

And the great thing about collecting is, is that people always have something to give you for your birthday!!

My husband and daughter have Spectra and DotD Ghoulia waiting for me... sweet!!!

I'm 16 years old and I always loved dolls when I was a child, but then as I became a teenager got more interested in typical teenage things like make up and ipods and stuff like that. But a month after my 16th birthday I was in a shop with my mum and I wandered over to the toy section. As I was looking around, Dead Tired Cleo de Nile caught my eye, and I just fell in love. I couldn't explain why I liked her so much, but I just had to have her. At first I tried to fight the urge to buy her, thinking at 16 years old I could never buy a doll. In the end though, I couldn't resist; and she wasn't expensive so I bought her. I thought she was so beautiful, and when I got home I looked up Monster High and eventually came across this website, where I was so delighted to find other people who loved and collected these dolls and were teenagers and adults aswell! Anyway, I have about 15 monster high dolls now displayed on my shelf, and I can tell my mum thinks I'm a bit silly 'wasting' my money on dolls, but I think she also finds it quite sweet and better than me wasting my money on drugs like many teens do.

Sorry for ranting a bit in this post, but back to the point, after getting over my steriotypical mind frame of 'dolls being for kids', I now realise you are never too old to collect dolls or toy cars, or even build a sand castle as long as it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone else. Some people may not understand it, but there will be others out there who do. I love Monster High dolls and I'm not a young kid anymore, and thanks to this website I know I'm not alone. I plan on collecting these dolls for as long as I want to, and if one day I'm in my 70s and people think I'm too old, tough.

You're only too old if YOU think you're too old.

:)

I'm 20 (21 on Jan 9th) and when I was younger the only time I wasn't playing with dolls was when I was in school, and if I could have taken them there I would have. I think my mom thought I would grow out of it but as I got older we both realized it was something I'd never grow out of. My mom was more upset I think that I was still spending my extra money on dolls, not the fact that I had them.. haha. My dad was always supportive (he knew what it was like he never grew out of his model car collecting :]) and took me Toys R Us or wherever once in a while and let me get new dolls. I always had so many dolls when my mom asked "Is that new?" I'd tell a little white lie and say "I've had it" and she wouldn't think twice.

But when I was 15 or 16 I started getting really self-conscious and convinced myself there was not one person over 16 who played with dolls. And as I think about that now, its really funny how wrong I was. Between here and Flickr I've met SOOO many people who love playing with dolls, designing for dolls, photographing dolls, etc. When I got to college at first I did everything to hide my dolls, now I don't really care who sees or who doesn't because I'm proud of them.

Its really comforting and amazing to know that doll lovers range from children with their very first cloth doll to older doll collectors with their incredible collections.

I agree! 1000%

LivingDeadGrrl said:
I'm 26 and after I hit about 11-12 yrs old, I thought I was done with dolls forever.  I packed up all my barbies, american girl dolls, etc, and gave them away.  I never gave dolls a second thought until I saw my first Monster High in a store ad.  I remember thinking how awesome they looked, and that I wouldn't mind having one of those.  Then one day in February I was in Target shopping with friends, and there was Frankie and Draculaura sitting on the shelf.  I carried them both around the store with me for about an hour before finally deciding on Draculaura.  Two days later I went back for Frankie...then Ghoulia...then Lagoona...and you guys probably know the rest! I currently have 31 of these amazing little monsters, and I can't imagine not collecting them, there is just something special about these dolls that speaks to me, and I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.  When people give me a hard time or tease me about my dolls, I simply tell them "you know what? they make me happy!" That's really what it comes down to.  If collecting dolls, or action figures, or coins, or stamps, or whatever it is can bring you joy, then you are never too old for it!
Im 33 and like Hexi Lee, I collect "spooky" dolls.  I have a large collection of LDD's and now Monster High.  I used to collect BeGoths and Little Apple dolls, but I sold them all to get more hard to find/rare LDDs and such. 

Hexi Lee Voodoo said:
im 29, and have been collecting spooky dollies for arounn 10 years. i stopped for 2 or 3 years in ther coz times got hard, but  monster high briught me back to collecting.  , as of right now i have around 100 action figure/dollies/plushes in my collection from many diffrent lines. (BE goths, LDD,little apple dolls, doom doll, toxic toons and so on...)  i may stop buying again someday, but i will always enjoy my collection!
 Very good point!  Christmas is coming up and I need a Holt Hype and the rest of the DOTD collection for starters.  And I ready warned my husband that if Toralei is out for Christmas I have to have her! :)

Tyna Verhoeff-van Ruitenburg said:

Tomorrow I will turn 39 and I'm a doll collector for 20 years, I have Barbies, Jem dolls, Living Dead dolls, Ellowyne Wilde, Gene, a couple of BJd's and Monster High!!

I personally think you never have to feel to young or old to collect or love something!!

I once tried to explain to a non-collector how happy it makes you to add something to your collection, how much joy that brings you... he didn't get it...

Love your collection!!

And the great thing about collecting is, is that people always have something to give you for your birthday!!

My husband and daughter have Spectra and DotD Ghoulia waiting for me... sweet!!!

I hope not because I'm 29!  I don't think you're ever too old to collect dolls or toys if it brings you happiness :D I collect Monster High dolls and action figures of Doctor Who and comic book characters. I am also stupidly addicted to anything cute..which sucks up a lot of money, I tell you! I think as long as adults are appropriate in their behavior when collecting children's items it's fine. My equally Monster High crazy friend and I often go to the store together to hunt for our dolls XD It helps us avoid awkwardness! LOL
I'm 26 and I've been a doll/action figure collector for years. Right now I only get some MH dolls from now and then because of lack of space/money, but I know that there will always be something that caughts my eyes toy-wise. My boyfriend collects WW2 stuff and model cars and everybody knows it... How is collecting dolls any less legit?
You're never to old well if you're 81 that's another story.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Stu Carter.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service