Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

Amy Schumer in Talks to Star in 'Barbie' Movie From Sony

A search for a director is also underway.

Amy Schumer will star in Sony’s live-action Barbie movie.

Mattel and producers Walter F. Parkes, Laurie MacDonald, and Amy Pascal have teamed up for the project, which will try to take a contemporary spin on beauty, feminism and identity.

A year ago, Sony hired three scribes to pen separate screenplays with the studio picking Hilary Winston’s idea and script with which to work off. It is expected that Schumer will rewrite the script with her sister, Kim Caramele.

A search for a director is also underway.

The Barbie doll, launched in March 1959 from El Segundo, California-based Mattel, is one of the biggest toy brands in the world, bringing in $3 billion annually.  But it’s a brand that has had to address issues of self-image and race in modern times.

The feature, with Schumer in the lead, will try to address those in a story that begins in a perfect land of Barbies where one woman slowly awakens to the fact that she doesn’t fit it. She is expelled from the idealistic land and journeys to the real world, where she discovers that being unique is an asset.

The studio is hoping to make an imaginative family comedy with plenty of heart, using the Tom Hanks classics Splash and Big, as well as Disney’s more recent Enchanted, which starred Amy Adams, as touchstones.

The road to a Barbie movie has not been an easy one and finding the right take has been critical. One point the project was looking to be a buddy comedy, a two-hander that teams Barbie with an overworked bureaucrat looking for an assistant.

Schumer’s casting is sure to raise eyebrows. One, it goes against the classic image of Barbie being a thin beauty that has come under fire in recent times, which is precisely the point of this casting. And two, Schumer has cultivated a brand of saucy comedy that can clash with Mattel’s pristine image of a gal who has unlimited career options.

Schumer is repped by UTA, management firms Maverick and B. and law firm Schreck Rose

Source

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ugh I dislike Amy Schumer and seeing as what her idea of being a feminist is,I'm not so sure about seeing Barbie become a white feminist feminist since she seems to be very diverse. I don't really find Schumer all that funny but I'll wait to see a trailer. It will either be good or be really bad. I wasn't a fan of the Lego movie so I'll have low expectations for this movie too especially after seeing that she is attatched to it too.

I agree I am not sure about Amy Schumer, I don't find her funny as a comedian I think she goes too far with some things also, I like the idea of a curvy woman playing Barbie, and I am excited for the live action movie it has been a long time coming and it is good to see they are not making it too frilly and sunshine and flowery, I like the concept of a more in depth serious take that please both the adult fans and the younger audiences and will teach and deliver a positive message, I just don't think Schumer is right for the part.

Thought:they should add Naomi Campbell or Tyra Banks as Barbies too

African American lead would be great or one of them can be Christie, I hope this movie has a Christie or Nikki whatever as long as it has African American characters.

I think they should of cast someone younger, maybe even someone young and unknown. I see Barbie as being 18-early twenties, but no more than 24 or 25. And okay, I just looked up Amy's age, and she's like 10 years younger than I thought she would of been. I would still prefer an actress who was about 18-mid twenties, though. But regardless of the age thing, I don't like Amy and would prefer not to see her in a Barbie movie, or at least I wouldn't want to see her in the movie as Barbie. 

I just feel like it would be a bad casting choice and would just hurt the movie, and the movie already has a chance of being bad because it's live action movie based on a toy line. But I see that on some sources it's only rumored/still in the talks, so they might still have a chance to cast someone else.

I agree with what you said about her age, Barbie's and Amy's. I feel like Hairspray Live's Maddie Baillio would be a better fit for Barbie if they are very intent on making the lead Barbie a curvy one.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service