Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

My sister was out looking at dolls today and she went up and asked the clerk for help finding the dolls she was looking for. He asked in a mocking tone if the dolls were for her. She said no that they were for her sister (me). He then asked her how old I was and she told him 24. He rolled his eyes and said "ridiculous," he then proceeded to be dismissive and not help her at all.

Aside from being extremely unprofessional I also think that he was being quite judgmental. I mean it kind of makes you think: what really makes and adult? As an adult it's okay for me to enjoy some things and not others? These unspoken "rules" or societal norms seem awfully arbitrary and random to me.

I'm going to be who I am and like what I want to like and make no apologies to anyone.

What do you guys think about all the adults out there who openly embrace and nurture their inner child?

And have any of you guys experienced weird judgmental people while out shopping for MH dolls or products?

Views: 5572

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been pretty lucky with dealing with store employees about buying MH. I'm pretty noticeable in other ways (goth, colored hair, etc), and sometimes people make comments, so maybe I've just learned to ignore them. ;) But I've helped a lot of moms who end up in the MH aisle and have no idea what they're supposed to be getting for their kid. :)

Wonderful about being an adult is, you can do whatever you want with your money. And when the seller is rude you call the manager and ask him if he would especially employ such people to offend and repel customers.

Do'nt worry about idiots.

This.

Haha, as a little girl I'd often go into the boy's section because that's where all the cool toys were (Pokemon and Digimon, in my case). But I felt so bad for my guy friends that were interested in the anime CardCaptors, really wanted to get the Clow Book (a toy book that had about 40 cards in it - it was really neat) or one of the character dolls, but it was in the girl's aisle.

I'd tell them to just go get it, act normal [ aka not "suspicious"], and just say "It's for my sister/niece/cousin/ect." if someone questioned them. But they were too scared to do it. :(

Fenshing said:

Plus if your looking at something and you think you would be embarrassed if there is a crowd. Take out a piece of paper and act like your looking at a list. Then add a look of frustration. Everyone will think your buying for someone else. For me I just always look mad and like someone you don't want to mess with, so no one says anything to me, but really that's how I always look!

I think any one can do what ever they want.....i mean in maple grave Jr high (my school) some teachers call some students adults because they are mature enough to act like them.....and some students they say are act like 3 year old because they are so immature and don't do their work and are just plain rude! So i think anyone can be a kid or an adult and still have fun!:) what i am saying is that it doesn't matter how old you are! i am 13 and none of my friends play with dolls any more but i do!XD so just have fun i guess:)

Man, the more stories I hear on this site the more I never new about Monster High and the people that buy it, lol...some people get crazy over these dolls...I mean actually trying to take a doll rite out of your hand??? I would never do that!

Hannah Lecter ♥ said:

18 year old guy here. i havent had too much trouble with workers, in fact a few know be by name and get just as excited as i do when they see me with a doll ive mentioned before. but i HAVE had trouble with other customers. ive been called a hoarder, a ''selfish punk'', and ive even had people try to take dolls directly from me. as a customizer i buy multiple of the same doll so i can custom make outfits for them and make them more unique and special for my collection. some people dont seem to like that :S

Wow, you are awesome! You think just like me, lol! I completely agree with you...even as adult people are still striving to fit into this generic and manufactured ideal of what they think they "should" be...which in itself seems kind of immature.

Ninapedia said:

Think about it like this:

An adult man can walk into a video game store, purchase a video game without him being thought as juvenile. They even market video games for adults, they feature adult men in commercials. This is why they have the "M" for mature rating. Yet video games are just that, GAMES. Something originally designed and targeted to children and is considered "childish".

Heaven forbid an adult woman goes in and purchases something originally targeted to children like dolls. Or worse, an adult man purchase something so "overtly feminine: AND childish as a doll (don't wanna challenge those pesky gender roles and traditions).

It's the rampant double standard that is apparent in day to day life and I'm quite sick of it. I'm willing to bet money that the clerk helping you probably plays video games even though he probably considers himself an adult.

The point is that this is a horrible problem and we're only ever going to do something about it if everyone stops trying to fit into this narrow boxes of what's considered "acceptable" and just do what makes them happy- provided no other person is harmed in that happiness.

I'm with everyone else on the board, that person needs some sort of action taken against them. It's horribly unprofessional,

Wow, that's really cool that you do what you and aren't bothered by "traditional" (gender) stereotypes. Interest and enjoyment are completely subjective to the individual. I think the video game analogy is really well put. Some "toys" are okay for adults yet others aren't? Seem kind of arbitrary to me. But I'm going to enjoy my dolls and nothing is going to change that!

Fenshing said:

I have a unique prospective.

I'm a 29 year old guy and my fiancee is 23 and we both collect them. I started it with my Frankie, school's out one, I got on sale at Target. She didn't care for them at first but now she is getting Clawdeen's bed for Christmas! I bug her by saying I don't buy playsets. I just see them as another thing I enjoy and I like having them on my computer desk next to my $200 Pullip Suigintou from Rozen Maiden, my Bioshock figures, Transformers, and the like. But it was a pain to get Cleo to sit on the edge of my monitor with her arms folded and looking all superior. I don't feel weird about it. We collect a lot of stuff and I build anime models, three times 3rd place in international contests. So they fit in. I did go overboard and bought each one they had on sale at Walmart at the Black Friday sale. It was us and one other woman looking at them. She had a list and didn't know anything about them. So we helped her find her last one she needed, Ghoulia, she cheered and gave us high fives. It is funny how everyone thinks they are for our kids when we aren't even married yet but it was fun helping her.

I love sharing what I enjoy with others and I know everyone has things they enjoy that someone else wouldn't understand. I don't care about football but I don't knock my coworkers for it. So I say enjoy your dolls, or as I joking call them "fashion figures", and ignore punks who have so little in life they have to look down on others to make themselves feel better. At least that's what this old man thinks!... oh man I am getting old...

Plus if your looking at something and you think you would be embarrassed if there is a crowd. Take out a piece of paper and act like your looking at a list. Then add a look of frustration. Everyone will think your buying for someone else. For me I just always look mad and like someone you don't want to mess with, so no one says anything to me, but really that's how I always look!

It happened to me once. I was purchasing a doll for myself and got dirty looks from the sales person. Just because you are an adult doesn't mean you can't enjoy the things you love. Doll collecting is for everyone not just children.

Well, I hadn't had much rudeness til today. I went shopping and got two dolls. While looking at the others, I notice a man in a scooter thing wanting to get by. So, I apologize and move my basket out of his way. I thought I was being polite, but then he sneers at me and goes "Maybe you shouldn't be playing with dolls huh?"

Seriously? I could've had a daughter I was buying them for, for all he knew >.>

Not to mention as I was continuing my shopping in the rest of the store, a bunch of people would glance in my basket and then give me looks like "Are you seriously buying that?".

Did I care? Not really. It was more weird than anything else. Besides, I'm quite proud of my purchases <3

? I can't believe people do these kind of things!

You should have told that old man off.

Leah Molly Rowan said:

Well, I hadn't had much rudeness til today. I went shopping and got two dolls. While looking at the others, I notice a man in a scooter thing wanting to get by. So, I apologize and move my basket out of his way. I thought I was being polite, but then he sneers at me and goes "Maybe you shouldn't be playing with dolls huh?"

Not to mention as I was continuing my shopping in the rest of the store, a bunch of people would glance in my basket and then give me looks like "Are you seriously buying that?".

Did I care? Not really. It was more weird than anything else. Besides, I'm quite proud of my purchases <3

I'm sorry that happened to you :( honestly some people are so rude. You were there first, and you weren't acting frustrated because you had to move out of his way...ugh, the audacity of some folks out there! I think that collecting is a productive and positive way for one to spend their time. I mean I guess at 24-years-old if I was out bar hopping, going to clubs, drinking and partying all the time people would just accept that as me being a 20-something doing what 20-somethings do...but collecting dolls, well that is just a little strange....guess I should be out partaking in a more mindless activity, lol.

Leah Molly Rowan said:

RSS

© 2020   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service