Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

My sister was out looking at dolls today and she went up and asked the clerk for help finding the dolls she was looking for. He asked in a mocking tone if the dolls were for her. She said no that they were for her sister (me). He then asked her how old I was and she told him 24. He rolled his eyes and said "ridiculous," he then proceeded to be dismissive and not help her at all.

Aside from being extremely unprofessional I also think that he was being quite judgmental. I mean it kind of makes you think: what really makes and adult? As an adult it's okay for me to enjoy some things and not others? These unspoken "rules" or societal norms seem awfully arbitrary and random to me.

I'm going to be who I am and like what I want to like and make no apologies to anyone.

What do you guys think about all the adults out there who openly embrace and nurture their inner child?

And have any of you guys experienced weird judgmental people while out shopping for MH dolls or products?

Views: 5512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Monster High are the first 'fashion doll' that I felt a connection to straight away. I've always been somewhat of an 'emo' kid and loved anything remotely alternative so i jumped at the chance to collect these dolls. I collected them when they very first came out and noone knew anything about them so I think they will have a special place in my heart as i've collected them from the very beginning.

Pullips used to be lot cheaper than they are now but once Jun Planning realised how much of a money maker they were prices shot up. I don't actually "collect" them any more as i've stopped buying them but I still have some at home. With BJDs I feel your pain price wise. I've had quite a few over the years but my most expensive ($1500!!) was a limited edition doll which I sitll have. I don't think i'll ever buy anymore cause i'm trying to cut down on things I don't collect anymore and put it back into things I do collect like MH :)

Back onto topic, my hubby picked me a up a doll this morning on his way to work and had it stashed in his locker until some of the guys from his work saw it and thought it was hilarious that as grown man was hiding dolls at work haha! He obviously explained it was for me and found out that someone on his shift's wife collects dolls too :)

Shimmeree said:

I think that is really great that you guys embrace your interests without worry for what others think! It's really nice to know that there are so many adult collectors on this site my age and older!

I really like the Pullip and BJD dolls too but I don't know much about them and they are SO expensive on Ebay. So when I saw the Monster High dolls they were perfect for me. They were ball jointed, with the very pretty faces and to make it perfect they were monster themed, which the life-long horror buff in me absolutely loved! :)

Bambi Equine said:

I think its great that there are so many adult collectors in this community :) I'm 20 and my husband is 24 and we still both collect toys! My husband is waaay into Lego and Model building where as I collect dolls (MH, Barbie, Moxie, Pullip, BJD etc). Its what makes us individuals and one of the things that brought us together (that and dinosaurs haha!)

I have never had any hostile reactions is shops so far...Someone I know from school works at a toy shop near home which is great cause she always lets me know when there are more in stock and is wonderfully sweet about it all. I love being able to help parents that don't have a clue what they are looking for, especially around christmas! I managed to save one mum £15 on a purchase cause I knew where to find something cheaper. I don't know if its that i'm in the UK (everyone seems quite excepting of everything here) or whether I live in an area of collectors (loads of people I know collect one thing or another) but I wish that everyone could have the same pleasant experience I do when i'm shopping :)

Um that's why they have comic con and stuff there are such a things as "doll collectors" that guy was a total (A-word) and if I was your sister I would have asked for the manager and make it well known that I was very displeased and I would be letting all of my friends know to not shop at that store because of the rude people who work there.

I'm 20 years old, and love MH :) Also I buy the dolls too

30 years old here. Let me tell you, there is nothing wrong with any sort of interest a human being might have, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. You can take several hobbies or interests and critique them the same way. Look how popular football is, but some people feel like it's a brainless activity. Stamp collecting seems pretty boring to some. It all depends on the type of person, and no one should ever judge another for their interests. Toy collecting is a worldwide phenomena for good reason. There are statistics that say up to 70% of the American adult population alone, own a toy that was intended for themselves. And you know what? There are collectors of all types, but toy collectors are the most interesting, imaginative, and creative ones of the bunch.

Hey, I'm 42 and I don't collect the dolls, I play with them (and Playmobil too!). I love toys, it's that simple!  I would love to collect as well but I do have a 6 year old who would just die if I left them in a box and for me, a toy that is played with is a toy that is loved and therefore truly collectible.  My husband is finally coming to terms with this as when I saw the Nefera doll I freaked and now he understands how much I want it even though he doesn't really "get" it just like I don't get why he watches men in underwear throw themselves around fake wrestling...each to his own. Besides, my MH obsession has led to other people making more informed purchases for their loved ones which will ensure that whoever they are buying the doll for is really happy with their gift.  

That's the reason that keeps me from owning a Toralei. They have some where I work at, but I don't want my co-workers to give me weird looks, so I have to wait for her to pop up somewhere else...

...Yup all the time

18 year old guy here. i havent had too much trouble with workers, in fact a few know be by name and get just as excited as i do when they see me with a doll ive mentioned before. but i HAVE had trouble with other customers. ive been called a hoarder, a ''selfish punk'', and ive even had people try to take dolls directly from me. as a customizer i buy multiple of the same doll so i can custom make outfits for them and make them more unique and special for my collection. some people dont seem to like that :S

Think about it like this:

An adult man can walk into a video game store, purchase a video game without him being thought as juvenile. They even market video games for adults, they feature adult men in commercials. This is why they have the "M" for mature rating. Yet video games are just that, GAMES. Something originally designed and targeted to children and is considered "childish".

Heaven forbid an adult woman goes in and purchases something originally targeted to children like dolls. Or worse, an adult man purchase something so "overtly feminine: AND childish as a doll (don't wanna challenge those pesky gender roles and traditions).

It's the rampant double standard that is apparent in day to day life and I'm quite sick of it. I'm willing to bet money that the clerk helping you probably plays video games even though he probably considers himself an adult.

The point is that this is a horrible problem and we're only ever going to do something about it if everyone stops trying to fit into this narrow boxes of what's considered "acceptable" and just do what makes them happy- provided no other person is harmed in that happiness.

I'm with everyone else on the board, that person needs some sort of action taken against them. It's horribly unprofessional,

He needs to learn a thing or two from Thumper. "If you can't say something nice, then don't say nothin' at all." If he thinks it's stupid and childish for someone who isn't a child to collect dolls then he needs to keep that thought to himself. I know there are plenty of things I don't like that people do (especially parents and kids), but I keep my thoughts to myself and don't say anything. It's rude and none of my business.

Ninapedia said:

Think about it like this:

An adult man can walk into a video game store, purchase a video game without him being thought as juvenile. They even market video games for adults, they feature adult men in commercials. This is why they have the "M" for mature rating. Yet video games are just that, GAMES. Something originally designed and targeted to children and is considered "childish".

Heaven forbid an adult woman goes in and purchases something originally targeted to children like dolls. Or worse, an adult man purchase something so "overtly feminine: AND childish as a doll (don't wanna challenge those pesky gender roles and traditions).

It's the rampant double standard that is apparent in day to day life and I'm quite sick of it. I'm willing to bet money that the clerk helping you probably plays video games even though he probably considers himself an adult.

The point is that this is a horrible problem and we're only ever going to do something about it if everyone stops trying to fit into this narrow boxes of what's considered "acceptable" and just do what makes them happy- provided no other person is harmed in that happiness.

I'm with everyone else on the board, that person needs some sort of action taken against them. It's horribly unprofessional,

I have a unique prospective.

I'm a 29 year old guy and my fiancee is 23 and we both collect them. I started it with my Frankie, school's out one, I got on sale at Target. She didn't care for them at first but now she is getting Clawdeen's bed for Christmas! I bug her by saying I don't buy playsets. I just see them as another thing I enjoy and I like having them on my computer desk next to my $200 Pullip Suigintou from Rozen Maiden, my Bioshock figures, Transformers, and the like. But it was a pain to get Cleo to sit on the edge of my monitor with her arms folded and looking all superior. I don't feel weird about it. We collect a lot of stuff and I build anime models, three times 3rd place in international contests. So they fit in. I did go overboard and bought each one they had on sale at Walmart at the Black Friday sale. It was us and one other woman looking at them. She had a list and didn't know anything about them. So we helped her find her last one she needed, Ghoulia, she cheered and gave us high fives. It is funny how everyone thinks they are for our kids when we aren't even married yet but it was fun helping her.

I love sharing what I enjoy with others and I know everyone has things they enjoy that someone else wouldn't understand. I don't care about football but I don't knock my coworkers for it. So I say enjoy your dolls, or as I joking call them "fashion figures", and ignore punks who have so little in life they have to look down on others to make themselves feel better. At least that's what this old man thinks!... oh man I am getting old...

Plus if your looking at something and you think you would be embarrassed if there is a crowd. Take out a piece of paper and act like your looking at a list. Then add a look of frustration. Everyone will think your buying for someone else. For me I just always look mad and like someone you don't want to mess with, so no one says anything to me, but really that's how I always look!

And yet I still get looks when I'm a teenage girl and my parents even asked: "Aren't you too old for dolls?" On multiple occasions or said: "I wish you'd be more focused on make up instead of dolls."

It took showing mom how my precious Obitsu's were casted for her to see why these kinds of dolls were so expensive or so hard to find. They're beautiful. Finally my mom asks me a lot: "Oh would this fit Spectra?" Or: "Oh look at this! It would look so adorable on Riven!" She's slowly getting converted. Slowly.

If people bug us in the sections for Monster High mom will nearly rip their heads off....Just today in Walmart someone kept pushing their carts infront of the MH section and this woman kind as she was kept moving it out of the way and I don't think she spoke english (she spoke rapid spanish) So she just smiled apologetically and I smiled back took my look and left.

I love being able to help people find what they want for their daughters. It really warms my heart and makes me feel good knowing I helped someone make their child's holiday even better. I'm especially excited to give my BFF her doll. (EMIRI IF YOU ARE READING THIS I AM NOT TAKING THE GOSHDARNED RISK YOU OPENING IT EARLY! PENALTY GAME IF YOU DO!)

And...Yeah people can be real jerks.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service