Monster High Dolls .com

News and Reviews of Monster High Dolls, Plush Toys, and More!

I'm trying to paint Bloodgood's boots green. I tried an acrylic spray paint on the boots after washing them. That didn't dry. It stayed sticky for over a week.

Then I tried re-cleaning them, spraying them liberally with MSC and painting again, and still the same results. 

Ideas?

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if it doesn't say for plastic is won't play nice with the boots. I have taken notice that the spray paint is acetone in it doesn't like the plastic type the boots are made of.

bloodgoods boots are rubbery at the touch more than regular plastic MH shoes
maybe it's because of the different material they're made of?

I'm no expert, but you may want to investigate paint that is made specifically for vinyl. Try the model car section of the craft store...

All dolls and accessories are made of different types of plastics and vinyls.  If the item you are trying to paint is hard plastic and doesn't move when flexed, you can use acrylic paint, spray paint, or model plastic paint.  If the item you are painting is slightly "rubbery" and flexes (like doll shoes), and you use these paints, it will never "dry" and remain permanently sticky.  They only paint I've found that will work on these pieces is Tamiya Acrylic paints.  They are available at scale model hobby stores (not Hobby Lobby or Michael's), or you can order them online.  They come in a large variety of colors, and you can mix them together to make your own shades.  They can also be painted on with a brush or used in an airbrush.

I wanted to make Spectra's arms and legs solid white instead of transparent.  Her legs were not a problem, because they are hard molded plastic.  I used Krylon spray paint for plastics in gloss white on them, but her forearms and hands are made of flexible vinyl so I used the Tamiya paint on them with success.  The finish came out smooth and glossy, and actually dried properly without that permanent "sticky" surface other paints leave.  After using the Tamiya paint, you can even use other paints of your choice on top of it and it will dry properly as it acts like a primer. After, I used a clear gloss spray to seal it.  Good luck with your project!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Stu Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service